How long does Bio last?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We took the plant shelf out, the air pump wasn't needed as I just put that pump on the 2 foot side that had about a foot of water in it. We dug the shelf out, lifted the liner to get out rocks and dirt that fell down and had it filled enough to put the fish back in all in the same day. I took out about 25 goldfish to give away. Today, we are sitting on the deck and the Bio quits. We pulled the pump up and it's smoking !! I haven't cleaned the Bio filter yet, was wanting to keep the Bio running for awhile since we had the pond down for a day. I think there was so much gunk in the filter, the pump was over worked. Bill took the pump apart and cleaned it while I cleaned the filter. So far, it's still running. The water is still clear, hope I avoided a cycle. Cleaned and repotted plants and divided lilies. My yard is a mud pit ...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad you were there when it quit! good save .

Reaction score
There are many different species of nitrifying bacteria and much of their life cycle is unknown. There is a difference between keeping these bacteria alive and optimal conditions. These bacteria are everywhere, all the time. Keeping huge densities is another matter.

For example, many people think they die without O2 but it isn't that simple. Optimally lots of O2 should be present, but Nitrosomonas europaea and Nitrosomonas eutropha are able to grow chemoorganotrophically under anoxic conditions, Schmidt, 2009. N. europaea is present in sewage, very low O2. There's been some published research done by Dr. Tim Hovanec which states some species can be kept alive for long periods if kept at low temperatures. But these are not optimal.

N. europaea can grow in many conditions, including on the sides of office buildings. So covering media with water is not a requirement to keeping N. europaea alive. It is a requirement when keeping a dense colony. Moving water to keep food (O2, carbon, ammonia) moving and available, proper pH (related to carbon) and fairly warm (75F). Unless all of these conditions are met the colony will reduce in size...but not completely die. You end up with basically the same amount of N. europaea found everywhere else in and around the pond. You wouldn't be jump starting anything.

Not just ammonia...
You'd also want to keep in mind that Nitrobacter which converts nitrite into nitrate, and just as important as the Nitrosomonas, don't do well with ammonia present, but you have to provide ammonia for the Nitrosomonas. So keeping a huge complete colony is a bit complex. But like I said, very few fish keepers have to do this. Nature does it for you. Only as fish loads increase do we have to consider additional measures. And those are related to providing optimal growing conditions so small omnipresent populations of these bacteria can reproduce to the levels we need.

Ask a Question