How long does Bio last?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Here in a few weeks, we will be taking out the plant shelf to make more swimming room for the fish. We will empty the pond and pull the liner back. Without any flow in the bio or the bog, how long will the bio last? I was hoping to not set off a cycle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
As long as you keep the water level in your filter and bog, the bacteria should survive as long as you need. I'm not sure how stagnant water affects the bacteria, but I would think you could leave the water sitting for several days before there are any problems.

However if you drain those areas, the bacteria will start dying off as soon as it gets dry (maybe half an hour with slow evaporation?).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks. I was going to leave the water in the filters. Just not sure how long it's going to take before it's filled back up. Hopefully it will just be a couple of days.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you dont want to drain it. dropping an air stone in the bottom of your bio filter will help keep the colony healthy. the bacteria will die from oxygen deprivation before starving.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh, had a thought .... my pond is set up with a small wall between the 2 and 3 foot side. What if the bio filter stays running on the 2 foot side (there will only be about a foot of water in that part of the pond). The bog, which is where we will be working, I'll just leave the water in it. Will that be enough to avoid a cycle when the whole pond is refilled?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would think that would help. I have read that bacteria dies after 5-6 hours without water movement. Lack of o2

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Yeah, I didn't know how long it would last. I wanted to have the filters cleaned out a few weeks before we empty the pond, but that's not going to happen, my stupid check valves don't work. So, when I shut the filters off, all that crap will go right into the pond. UGH !!! I told Bill I am buying the kind you just turn off this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have started new bio filters and kept them alive for months using houshold ammonia and air.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Last year I changed my pond liner and did everything in 24 hours and even put back a lot of the same water that was in the pond. My ammonia levels skyrocketed. Just having the bio-filter with water in it but not attached to the pump for a day sent me back to square one. You definitely want to follow the advice about keeping the water moving in it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Another thought. If I keep the Bio running in the 2 foot side while we work on the other side to keep the Bio going, will it affect the Bio when I put the pump back in the new clean water? Or will that water kill all the good stuff in the Bio?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Chlorine will kill your bio. That's why everyone washes their filters with pond water or treated water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Maybe the experts will weigh in, but I would think it would be okay to set up your biofilter with the fresh water after about a day to make sure all the chlorine is removed. I know the label on the bottles says it removes the chlorine instantly but can you really trust that?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
in many cases a simple air pump and an airstone in the bottom of the filter is all it takes to keep enoiugh oxygenation in the filter to keep the aerobic bacteria going. you dont neccessarily need a pump moving the water..you can leave it in the filter and use it all season, to help keep the water in the filter well oxygenated, for a healthier aerobic colony. for you large water change you'll be doing in the process...i would reccommend using KORDONS AMQUEL PLUS.....
** if youve got chloramines in your water many dechlorinators dont remove ammonias they just break the bond between the chlorine and ammonia, and leave the ammonia for the bacteria, and to dissapate. if you use AMQUEL+ from KORDONS, it will....

Remove 33 ppm (= 33 mg/L) of all chlorines including those chlorines in chloramines from the water
Removes/detoxifies all of the kinds of toxic nitrogen compounds in the water
Removes/detoxifies all forms of ammonia/ammonium/nitrites/nitrates from the water, including ammonia in chloramines
Reduces the need for water quality tests for chlorine, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate
Removes/detoxifies toxic pheromones from the water
Does not affect the water's pH (acidity/basicity)
Does not interfere with the beneficial nitrifying bacteria or their food sources
Does not interfere with the beneficial sludge-removing bacteria or their food sources
Is completely amine-free
Is fully compatible with NovAqua+and is recommended for use together in aquarium and pond water keeping
Is safe to use with other water conditioners and organic herbal fish medications
s not affected by filtration or activated carbon filters
Nontoxic and saves on the need for as many water changes as would otherwise be required

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Good info. I have an air pump laying around. I'll use that. Hopefully this will all go smoothly and only take a couple of days. Thanks for the help !!

Ask a Question