How long to run a pump per day

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to renovate a large pond (400,000 litres). It links to a smaller pond and I want to pump the water via waterfall. I am advised I need three pumps

Oase Aquamax Eco 4400.​

can anyone advise if the pumps would need to run 24/7 as this would be a rather massive electricity bill

Reaction score
Country
United States
You need constant circulation to keep your bio-filter alive. You could use an air driven system, and install some bog filters with lower flow pumps.
I like external pumps, Sequence pumps. Sequence pumps have high head and output with low amperage/wattage. They run for ever but need to be kept out of the elements.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
a pond that size is larger than an Olympic swimming pool. is this a liner pond? me thinks we have a second here @j.w

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If this is a mud pond, there aren't many here who have a pond like that. You might find more help on a different forum. Not trying to run you off, just want to be helpful.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
pumps are not designed for constant stopping and restarting
Well thats not exactly correct. I think what your trying to get across is that with a pond we run our pumps day and night, our pumps are designed for continuous use. A pool pump is designed for 8 hour use or more , and then shut down the rest of the day . Pools just need a few hour to circulate and try to remove any debris that fell in. A koi pond or goldfish has waste dumped in it all day long and oxygen needs to be replenished constantly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well thats not exactly correct. I think what your trying to get across is that with a pond we run our pumps day and night, our pumps are designed for continuous use. A pool pump is designed for 8 hour use or more , and then shut down the rest of the day . Pools just need a few hour to circulate and try to remove any debris that fell in. A koi pond or goldfish has waste dumped in it all day long and oxygen needs to be replenished constantly.
What I was referring to is that constant cycling of a pond pump will put additional wear and tear on its components that can cause premature failure. Anyway, that's what I've always read.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I am about to renovate a large pond (400,000 litres). It links to a smaller pond and I want to pump the water via waterfall. I am advised I need three pumps

Oase Aquamax Eco 4400.​

can anyone advise if the pumps would need to run 24/7 as this would be a rather massive electricity bill
I run my pump 24/7\365 Had my pond for 30 years.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What I was referring to is that constant cycling of a pond pump will put additional wear and tear on its components that can cause premature failure. Anyway, that's what I've always read.
Don't believe everything you read . Especially here on the internet. Pool pumps you would be correct they are not built for 24/7 use. A POND pump however is designed to run 24/7 365

Ask a Question