j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I never noticed anything like that going on at Lowes or H-depot. Maybe I need to look more closely next time!

Reaction score
j.w. Lowes has been putting a hard stop on doing that... from what i have heard no more stores just marking stuff down because the bag has a tear or rip.. they are still allowed to give a 10% discount, but i think they feel customers are intentionally damaging just to get dirt cheap...pun intended

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ha Ha and thanks for the heads up on the bags. Guess the smaller stores haven't caught on to the customer tricks yet.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
This last time when we went to Menards, I asked the guy out in the garden center how many bags of defect pea rock they had. He replied with how many do you need and I told him about 45. He then told me about the pallet of pea rock that was marked down because the supplier had messed up on the labels. He also told me that the employees will rip open bags intentionally if they need some for themselves. The last big load of mulch we brought home was different colors because it was what they had available.

I was told that they either have to mark it way down or end up throwing it away because most people won't buy ripped open bags of rock or mulch.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lowes used to do that, but not much any more. Don't have a menards here, never have heard of them until you all mentioned that store.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Last year was in one of the "home" stores looking for ceramic tile for another "turtle" project. There was a basket filled with broken pieces, so I asked if they were for sale, either at a reduced price or even for free. Was told "no, they couldn't sell it," that they had to return the pieces to the vendor. I pressed it, then was told that if they sold or gave away a broken piece, that customer could bring it back to the store (or a different store), claiming that the store "sold them defective merchandise," asking for a refund.

I finally convinced them to let me have a couple of the pieces, but, geesh!

Reaction score
You might be surprised what you can haul... I have hauled 1200 lbs of rock in my Volvo Station Wagon many times.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Oh my! Here in Northeast PA, we complain about the rocks. Whenever we need to plant a shrub or flower we curse the amount of rocks we have to deal with. I guess we should feel grateful of the amount of rocks! We still have two piles left from the dig of our new pond! We'll be using them all around the property for borders and such.
I wish I could mail them to all you!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh my! Here in Northeast PA, we complain about the rocks. Whenever we need to plant a shrub or flower we curse the amount of rocks we have to deal with. I guess we should feel grateful of the amount of rocks! We still have two piles left from the dig of our new pond! We'll be using them all around the property for borders and such.
I wish I could mail them to all you!

We have some land in central city pa, I haul a car full back to maryland every time we go up there, no kidding tons of rocks. Nice flat field stones Love the huge boulders, but I mean huge, no way we can get them loaded to haul or can our truck handle the weight

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
We have some land in central city pa, I haul a car full back to maryland every time we go up there, no kidding tons of rocks. Nice flat field stones Love the huge boulders, but I mean huge, no way we can get them loaded to haul or can our truck handle the weight

The next time you need rocks...maybe you can rent a trailer to haul those rocks back from PA. Your truck can probably tow more weight than it can hold.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The next time you need rocks...maybe you can rent a trailer to haul those rocks back from PA. Your truck can probably tow more weight than it can hold.

oh I would get a trailer in a second, but my honey, says just throw them in the truck............ I need to be more convincing!
Usually we drive my prius, it can haul a decent amount, we had it loaded this last trip, I needed some for the bog and the new little preforms

Reaction score
Agreed! Can NEVER have too many rock lol. Example: my husband and I took a day trip to Nashville, TN a couple weeks ago. And on the way back, it was too irresistible, those hills!! You know? The stones that fall off the cliffs along the interstate? You can get some beautiful rocks between Tenessee and Indiana! All I need is my truck and my trusty leather gloves Lol :D

Ask a Question