How much room do koi need?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
shakaho said:
YEP, SERIOUSLY...
pond... 14 X 15 liner ...$40., (20 MIL PVC) . about $40 - $50 in lumber and screws....
filter...$10 for the 55 gal drum, and maybe $25.00 in pvc pipe and fittings.. including the flush assembly pipes ran to houses sump vault.
i use my pumps, hoses, and filter media from outside
199.99 plus tax for a 300 gal stocktank. i spent underr $150.00 for my basement pond setup.

Reaction score
Lots of people use galvanized tanks for fish. I've not heard of problems. Some people fret about the possibility something leaching from the metal, but if it happens, fish tolerate it well.

Reaction score
koiguy1969 said:
YEP, SERIOUSLY...
pond... 14 X 15 liner ...$40., (20 MIL PVC) . about $40 - $50 in lumber and screws....
filter...$10 for the 55 gal drum, and maybe $25.00 in pvc pipe and fittings.. including the flush assembly pipes ran to houses sump vault.
199.99 plus tax for a 300 gal stocktank. i spent underr $150.00 for my basement pond setup.
Good job!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
capewind did you know that a large koi can quite easily puncture two industrial clear plastic bags with ease if they set about panicing .
I've seen it done and had it done to us on the way to a show before now .
Its quite a scary thing to have happen .

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Dave 54 said:
capewind did you know that a large koi can quite easily puncture two industrial clear plastic bags with ease if they set about panicing .
I've seen it done and had it done to us on the way to a show before now .
Its quite a scary thing to have happen .

rgrds

Dave
I had no idea Dave, although I have to say, I have never experienced a large fish in a BAG ... Each time we have moved a large koi, it has been in totes or coolers, as I dont feel comfortable with the big guys weight, and weight of water to a BAG ... that sound like an accident waiting to happen. When we've had fish shipped to us, of course those were bagged, but we are not talking large fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I didn't see anybody mention it, but does anyone have any knowledge or experience regarding growth limiting factors like hormones and pheremones in a closed space?
I imagine the use of activated carbon would filter this out, but if you didn't use activated carbon, would the growth of koi or goldfish be limited, thereby making a smaller space acceptable for keeping koi long term? Water changes of course would dilute the concentration somewhat.

I'm looking at this article for reference: http://injaf.org/articles-guides/do-fish-grow-to-the-size-of-their-tank/

Reaction score
interesting predicament, either braving 4-5 months of cold (seems by late march in southern NJ the average temp is high enough for them to behave normally) where the koi immune systems are weakened (mostly due to being in a low activity state) or having to bring them into an area that isn't quite ideal in size or filtration.

I will say this, had I a basement I'd be throwing up a cheap intex pool which would have adequate room...come to think of it that's what my outdoor ghetto pond is now. lol Okay it's a "Summer Escapes" but you get the idea.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
YEP, SERIOUSLY...
Hi, any instructions for this?? OR pics? Thanks

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
YEP, SERIOUSLY...

Where do I find this 20 mil liner, is it good quality? $40 for 14x15 are you sure? It's way more expensive then that I found.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm at tractor supply and was wondering if it is safe to put fish in a galvanized tank?
In my experience, it was not a good thing. We made a water garden using a galvanized tub and we killed 4 fish before learning that the galvanizing chemicals are neurotoxins to fish. Now -- that is just the information online research and other pond-keepers gave. It could just have been bad luck, but the fish seemed healthy and happy when we put them in. I have had many aquariums (aquaria?) and know enough about fish keeping to know how to acclimate before releasing into a new tank, etc. Everything else seemed fine -- just the tank.
Certainly, it could have been something else, but wanted to give this word of caution before you did anything.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 20 mil in under my water fall filters and have had the same piece for over 8 years now with no problems .But my weather is not realy a cold winter that may crack it or cause it to get brittle

Ask a Question