TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
being a glass half full person here, mabye they watched one of those pond stars shows or something, that show in specific was very misleading, and that is th eonly filtration they have heard of...... still who in the heck would want to troll this forum.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@TheFishGuy Trolls happen all the time. They are the ones that pop in and ask about an already established (usually) controversial topic.....then proceed to argue with us or say things that get us riled up and want to argue with each other. Trolls are out there trying to sew dissent. Why? Because they can. Robots happen all the time, as well. They are the ones that pop in and ask some off-the-wall questions about a product....that most of the time, no one has heard of. They will post direct links to products or web sites that are a way of saying, “look at what I am touting.” Then, if they’re lucky, there is another robot that (again, someone brand new, who has never posted) will answer and you suddenly have this dialog going between 2 brand new members about something that apparently only the 2 of them are familiar with. For the most part, robots are trying to gain access so they can sell a product or look for a target audience. With both trolls and robots, you usually never hear from them again.

Maybe the fact that the question, “what kind of filter,” was followed by the centipede and snorkel question — since centipede and snorkel play into a very specific type of filtration system..... And then asking about building one from HD parts? And yes, you are correct to be a glass-half-full kinda guy....but as you get older, you will likely start to see through these scams and will start questioning things (again, as you should). There are a lot of trusting folks on the internet, and unfortunately, a lot of people out to take advantage of them. Step 1: get your foot in the door and gain trust. (Like the text I received 2 days ago saying that I had won $500,0000 and to contact XYZ. Notice how the monetary value was typed? Yes, the comma was sorta in the wrong place — I’m still laughing over that one).

I hope the OP is legit, and if he is, that he isn’t offended by my skepticism and will stick around and become a valued member of this community. @miogpsrocks, I do apologize.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome!
if you are not a troll, and if you are spam block will occur at some time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
still who in the heck would want to troll this forum.

@Mmathis and I ruminate about this question all the time. To what end? I don't understand enough about bots to know but I would guess it's to gauge activity on the forum, mine data, drive search engines, etc. A real human trolling? Just a sad person with nothing better to do than stir the pot I guess!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A lot of spam type trolls I get waiting for approval quite often with links to all sorts of stuff...............they get spammed deleted right away. Every now and then one gets through but you all are good about doing a report.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
And here I was wondering if some person had just decided they had to have a pond, with no clue about what is needed, how to do it, etc. ( like me back in the day!) and was trying to guide them to the information that they would need. Sigh, I’m so glad it’s taken me years to get to this point!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And here I was wondering if some person had just decided they had to have a pond, with no clue about what is needed, how to do it, etc. ( like me back in the day!) and was trying to guide them to the information that they would need. Sigh, I’m so glad it’s taken me years to get to this point!
You’re a good person!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You’re a good person!
I try. I’m definitely more skeptical in person, but information is free, so is advice, and the hard learned wisdom of experience. I’ll share what I can, including a meal for the hungry, but all too often, folks take advantage of folks who care.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1 Just curious, but how does a spam blocker work? How does “it” know the difference between a spammer and a regular person? Things have certainly changed since I was growing up and the only spam blockers we had were the trash can (for mail), and the hang-up (for phone calls).

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is part of the software, a lot of times the ones I get a report on have links to stuff, some it is the wording. Might even be the ip addy, @Ian could explain it a lot better. I just look at the reports and either approve ie let them post or spam them. I can also delete the post without spam blocking the person. It seems to work well I don't see a lot get through

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't have to rate myself, My lack of sugar coating always gets me my rating

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am 99% skeptic, 1% nice person. I seek a good balance. haha!
I wouldn't agree with that in any way shape or form ..... My statement though I Doubt many would question

Ask a Question