How to get Fish to eat out of my Hands?

shanezam203

Rookie
Reaction score
IMG2012082200307-vi.jpg

I've only had my fish a week and they are starting to slowly come up for the food, but not in a RUSH like I had hoped.

Any tricks to getting them to hurry to the top for the Food as I feed them and eat out of my Hand?

I've been feeding them in the same spot but at different times of the days.

Thanks,
Shane

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
SHANE..its not that hard to get them to feed from your hand.. let them see "your" the source of food...put in a few pellets at a time. stay back a step or two. sitting or kneeling to make yourself appear smaller may help. try to stay still. as they start approaching sooner moved up alittle closer. the more time you spend at the pond the better...they get comfortable with your presence and realize your not a threat. when you can sit at ponds edge put a hand (keeping it still) in the water while they eat. then put the hand in releasing food... they'll learn. some fish are just more timid and take longer...but eventually hunger overcomes fears....good luck!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When they are new to a pond they tend to hang low and hide until they become comfortable with their surroundings.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
As koiguy stated, get as low as possible. laying down near the pond is less threatening than standing up. feed very small amounts. trick: feed less pellets than you have fish. Example; you have 6 fish, put in four pellets at a time. this make the more dominate fish rush up for feeding time faster, always let them see the pellets come from your hand. that is key later on as they relate your hand as the food source. last, always move slow and be very quite while getting them started. just a bump near the pond can spook them.
Once you get them started if you slightly splash a little water with your hand just before feeding you can train them to come to it. A friend of mine doesn't like splashing water because he thinks raccoons may learn they can get the fish come up by doing that. ?? I don't know but his idea worked pretty good, he takes two rocks and rubs them at the pond edge. His koi and goldfish will come up to the rocks edge and feed out of his hands very well. It's all about being patient, quite, moving slow and getting them use to you.

Reaction score
You can also use flake food rather than pellet. They have to do a lot more feeding to get the same amount of food. That gives you and your fish more face time. The flake can also kind of lay down a trail, like chum. Also good for bringing them to the surface if you mix the flake in the water it sinks. Teaches them the closer they get to you the more food they get.

It is generally easier the more fish you have. Apparently fish can count and do risk assessment. The more there are the less chance they will end up as the meal.

Also, kind of counter intuitive but I think the more you feed them, the fatter they get, the more food they want and the less shy they get. You'd think the more hungry the more willing they'd be to risk getting close. Just a theory I have.

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
scared of what they have no teeth .

Speaking of hand feeding animals (even the ones with sharp teeth :)), I did hand feed, not fishies, but squirrels in New York City Central Park a few days ago. As I fed squirrels, some tourists took some pics of me and the animals like the ones below. Try feed them; they don't bit next time when you guys drop in the Big Apple.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep they do have teeth sissy.......................pharyngeal teeth in the back of their throats and even some in their jaws. So beware of those goldfish beasts..............they'll rip your lungs out Jim (lyrics to a song for those not familiar) :LOL:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had a lot of squirrels at my house in NJ and hand fed them and if they were not fed they would knock on the windows of the house and sit there and look sad .I forgot about them the first year I moved in my second house and went out and hid easter candy all over the back yard and got the boys up and went out and moving pic taking day and there were the squirrels having a good ole time eating candy .They didn't get it all but they sure had a great time with what the did get .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I had a dream last night I was swimming in my pond (it was much larger in the dream) and I had a TON more fish... one koi kept biting me and it actually hurt (in the dream). LOL I am trying to get mine to come up but the food I am using floats even if I soak it... so I have to squish it up a little and they will come about an inch or so to my fingers to eat.

Reaction score
North-Eastcoaster with shovels for blizzards
Speaking of hand feeding animals (even the ones with sharp teeth :)), I did hand feed, not fishies, but squirrels in New York City Central Park a few days ago. As I fed squirrels, some tourists took some pics of me and the animals like the ones below. Try feed them; they don't bit next time when you guys drop in the Big Apple.

Oop... here are pictures reposted for you guys.

Junepictures039.jpg

IMG_4396.jpg

Ask a Question