Will ducks eat our fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I'm thinking...yes. But wondering if I'm correct. Not that we have regular duck visits, but last week one landed in the pond. I happened to see a large bird flying down toward the pond. In fear of it being a bird of pry, I immediately ran out there. My presence spooked the duck into flight. I felt bad, but then started wondering if the duck would feast on my fish.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
In short they could if the fish are small enough. Mallards ( duck species that comes to my pond occasionally)I never had any issue with them, when they show up at my pond. They aren’t very adept at catching healthy fish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ducks are omnivores, but (and I will admit my ignorance), I think they mainly go for insects and stuff like that. I seem to recall seeing them root around in muddy shores and going through leaf piles. If you are concerned about your fish, but also want ducks around, you could provide the ducks with an alternate food source — maybe sated ducks are less of a threat.

I found this article that lists some good food items for ducks: https://www.thespruce.com/what-to-feed-ducks-386584

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Mallards can eat fish, snails, frogs, fish eggs, frog eggs etc. I have mallards here everyday and multiples at that, they have never eaten a fish or a frog, maybe a fish egg or frog eggs but I never witnessed that. I do have cracked corn so they eat that. When the ducklings are here they eat the tiny bugs at the pond.

I think you will be fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It's not of great concern to me. I guess I should have mentioned that. The koi are all pretty big and most of the smaller fish are plain goldfish. We have too many fish anyway! . I've only witnessed that one duck. Years ago a couple ducks landed in my pool.

Ask a Question