How to keep a pumpless, filterless pond free of mosquitoes?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Any small fish will eat any small water born insect

@Lisak1 i would have suggested trying a couple sun fish/ blue gill or croppy MAKING SURE TO GET ONLY ONE SEX which is easy to do . In time they would have eradicated the pest. Don't feed them and when it's time to remove the solution you use a hook and a worm

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wish I could remember where I read that story... it was a saga! I believe he used some kind of predator fish at some point. The guy tried chemicals, he tried traps, nets... it was a nightmare!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Will stay away from that then... lol
I’ll just get a few minnows, an aerator, and some mosquito dunks. Hopefully the combination of the 3 will completely keep the mosquitoes out, if not overkill.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Minnows can easily do the same .. we have closed environments. if your lucky enough to have a well balanced system . including frogs snakes and even a turtle . then you may get lucky enough to not get over run. when i first started my pond i was feeding them constantly but the more i learned the more i realized i was only feeding my pleasure watching them eat.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rosy red minnows, feeder fish at local aquarium stores, do well in small ponds. They’re very hardy. But, mine don’t show themselves much.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I added about 30 koi in my pond and they have easily doubled in number .Free giveaways. Rob offered gold fish to me back when but i had a feeling id have more then i'd know what to do with.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went with Stickleback as my mosquito controllers. Lovely little silver darts zooming about, although the babies are a lot happier to come near the surface than the 1st adults were.

Ask a Question