How to make a pond for aquatic turtles (images w/captions)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
This is my setup for turtles and has captions explaining why each element is designed the way it is because the entire project was built for turtles from the first shovel of dirt to flipping on the power switch of the pumps and filters. All of the features are just basic materials you would already have or easily find and the ponds ecosystem has just been tweaked a bit to suit their needs. I would imagine that if you can make a pond at all (and all of you seem to do very well at building a pond. Much better than my pond in most cases) then you could make a turtle sanctuary as well.

DSCN2099.JPG
DSCN2185.JPG
DSCN2186.JPG
DSCN2187.JPG
DSCN2188.JPG
DSCN2190.JPG
DSCN2193.JPG
DSCN2194.JPG
DSCN1987.JPG

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Gotta love that info for turtle safety .Do they ever dig under the block you have there .My next pond will be pondless less work less worries ,I am getting to old for this stuff and all the work involved

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Gotta love that info for turtle safety .Do they ever dig under the block you have there .My next pond will be pondless less work less worries ,I am getting to old for this stuff and all the work involved
they dig down to the concrete and give up lol thats why I recommend the underground barrier cause without it they will tunnel under and keep right on trucking into the woods

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
When i was growing up my parents literally bought the farm and there was water down below in the Raritan Canal and snapping turtles use to come up and lay eggs in the gardens and you had to be careful out there .It was funny when all these tiny turtles would come up out of the ground and head for the canal

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
When i was growing up my parents literally bought the farm and there was water down below in the Raritan Canal and snapping turtles use to come up and lay eggs in the gardens and you had to be careful out there .It was funny when all these tiny turtles would come up out of the ground and head for the canal
When my turtles hatch they are the size of a quarter

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Will tutles wander out of the pond and escape?
Yes, and if you have a barrier they can also climb over it or dig underneath so be sure that your barrier is high enough to prevent climbing as well as having a deep enough foundation that they cannot dig under it.

Ask a Question