How to make the watter go to the filter

Reaction score
I'm currently having a problem with the filter. The one I am building I have to add the pump before the filter but then the water won't go up to the waterfall. If anyone knows a solution please let me know. The waterfall is above water level so the water wont go up. :banghead3: ( I also added the image and problem on my older post)

Attachments

• filter pond problem.png
    filter pond problem.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 332
Reaction score
what size pump are you using? what is the head height rated at? how high does the water need to go up from the filter before getting to the waterfall?

Reaction score
don't know the math on that but trying to push water through 4-55 gallon drums through media and then up several feet to a waterfall seems to be a futile task.. every bend/angle you have in piping will reduce water pressure..i might think start with one drum and work your way up to see how many you can use before you have not enough pressure to send to waterfall..or make waterfall more level with where the water leaves the drums if possible.. how far up from pond is pump having to pull the water too?

Reaction score
The problem is that the pump is pushing the water down the filter but when the filter (barrel) gets full the water will leak out instead of going up to the waterfall. If the pump was pulling the water from the filter and pushing it to the waterfall that would be ok but I build the filters already. Would I have to make different filters or is there a way to make this work somehow?

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
If it leaks, then that means it's not sealed tight enough. The water will find the easiest way out and in your case it appears to be where the leak is.

The only solution as is would be to make the filter seals tighter and the pump strong enough. If I were you I'd reposition the pump between the filter and the waterfall.

Reaction score
The problem is that the pump is pushing the water down the filter but when the filter (barrel) gets full the water will leak out instead of going up to the waterfall. If the pump was pulling the water from the filter and pushing it to the waterfall that would be ok but I build the filters already. Would I have to make different filters or is there a way to make this work somehow?
Not really. In order for your filter at the given elevation to work it would have to be a "pressurized filter". It is possible to build pressurized filters but takes a fair amount of knowledge and experience. Not only can't the structure leak but it also has to be able to withstand whatever pressure is required. Beyond standard Skippy type building practices.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Just raise all of the barrels higher than the waterfall

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Unless you are using a pressurized canister type filter your current set up won't work very well. If you have the barrels higher than the waterfall, then you could have as many barrels as you want, just as long as the waterfall is lower than the filter. Dr, Case nailed it.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
With the skippy style filter, they are gravity return feeds. What that means is that there is no lid or top on the filter so the water just gets to a certain point before it either goes out the outlet tube or overflows into the pond or whatever you are feeding ie. stream, waterfall, pond. Without a lid, no pressure build up is made so you can't try to feed your waterfall or stream that is higher than the filter. Your filter will just overflow like you have been having. If you raise the barrels so they are higher than your waterfall, your problem is solved.

Ask a Question