how to make waterfall more silent

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
13-ear-plugs.jpg

Or put something under the waterfall to break up the fall of the water.
Nice one John on a par with your best whitty answers keep them coming and thanx for cheering me up (y)

Dave

Reaction score
We have a variable pump - we can turn the flow up or down, depending on the look/sound we're going for. Although we rarely change it now, once we found the flow that was most pleasing. I know that's not an option for those of you who already have pumps in place, but for someone who may be in the planning stages it might help.

We found designing the waterfalls (inflow and outflow) was the most challenging part of the pond build. And since our main waterfall is constructed of large "three man boulders" we really had one chance to get it right - not a lot of chance to move things around after the fact. We basically "built" our waterfall on the lot of the rock supplier as we handpicked the rocks we wanted for the falls. It was a bit tricky! Being able to adjust the flow was a bonus for us.
100% agree, the stream/water fall was out of my control until I turned the pump on for the first time. My 1st pond ever and I had no idea what the water rate was gonna be until I plugged it in. It's not what I want yet but that will be my project next year when I re-charge. My goal was to get the pond cycled so the fish are safe this winter. Done;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I like how all the ponders are identifying the true problem - it's not your pond, it's your mother!
We all love our mothers Lisa , my mum still knows best even at 83 (he says with everything crossed ), "you've not met mum ask Val ":happy:
And thats from far far away :eek: :LOL:
Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
100% agree, the stream/water fall was out of my control until I turned the pump on for the first time. My 1st pond ever and I had no idea what the water rate was gonna be until I plugged it in. It's not what I want yet but that will be my project next year when I re-charge. My goal was to get the pond cycled so the fish are safe this winter. Done;)

You done good. Spend the off-months (I won't use the "w" word) checking out pictures and videos of waterfalls online. Study them for looks you like and how well it will work on your pond. You'll start to see patterns in well built falls. Pick them apart for the details that appeal to you and you'll see it's definitely possible to get both the look and sound you want. There are so many great videos out there with examples of all kinds of falls.

We toured another pond that the owner had gotten complaints from his neighbors about the sound of the falls. So he installed a valve on his main line so he could reduce the flow of the water that was feeding the falls. I would be careful about how much you reduce the flow - I'm not sure how that might affect a pump - but it might be another solution.

We also have two diverter lines on our main line that feed two other lines - one goes to a smaller spillway and stream and the other creates a smaller flow alongside the main waterfall. We can play around with those to increase or decrease the amount of water that feeds the main falls. So something else to consider during your long season of rest!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We all love our mothers Lisa , my mum still knows best even at 83 (he says with everything crossed ), "you've not met mum ask Val ":happy:
And thats from far far away :eek: :LOL:
Dave
haha! Same here, Dave! We don't cross mother! (Just sneak around behind her back turning off the burners she forgets and locking up the doors that she swears she already locked!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
haha! Same here, Dave! We don't cross mother! (Just sneak around behind her back turning off the burners she forgets and locking up the doors that she swears she already locked!)
I've been known to take the phone away from my eat before :LOL: but I still love her and all her faults , she wouldnt be mum otherwise would she :happy:

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've been known to take the phone away from my eat before :LOL: but I still love her and all her faults , she wouldnt be mum otherwise would she :happy:

Dave

And I'm a mother myself.. I know my kids say the same about me already! Can't imagine when I really am half-senile what they will say!

Reaction score
You done good. Spend the off-months (I won't use the "w" word) checking out pictures and videos of waterfalls online. Study them for looks you like and how well it will work on your pond. You'll start to see patterns in well built falls. Pick them apart for the details that appeal to you and you'll see it's definitely possible to get both the look and sound you want. There are so many great videos out there with examples of all kinds of falls.

We toured another pond that the owner had gotten complaints from his neighbors about the sound of the falls. So he installed a valve on his main line so he could reduce the flow of the water that was feeding the falls. I would be careful about how much you reduce the flow - I'm not sure how that might affect a pump - but it might be another solution.

We also have two diverter lines on our main line that feed two other lines - one goes to a smaller spillway and stream and the other creates a smaller flow alongside the main waterfall. We can play around with those to increase or decrease the amount of water that feeds the main falls. So something else to consider during your long season of rest!
Thanks for the advice. I plan to check out every landscape and waterfall pic on the web this winter. I keep hearing about people who split their line but can't imagine cutting my 11/2" line in fear of another leak area. But then I could put it in a place where I can keep an eye on it. I did want to put a tiny spillway under one of my slate pavers, so it looks like it is coming out of the ground! Bought all the supplies to work on inside this "off season".

Ask a Question