Ideas for spillway/waterfall?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Referring to the attached photo, instead of having the outlet from the filter dump water back into the pond via the hose/nozzle, I'd like to have some sort of spillway or waterfall instead. I'm having trouble finding products or diy articles for something that would work in this situation, and would really welcome any ideas or suggestions of products to look at.

Many thanks!
IMG_1756.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks - they look interesting, but I don't understand how they should be connected to the filter outlet (if at all)? If the outlet just dumps water onto the narrow end of one of these, wont it just splash all over the place?!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here's the set up I had with the smaller version of your filter. I hid it under a faux rock, (upper left corner of this photo), and ran a flexible corrugated hose to the pond edge and hid the hose with rocks. There was no special fountainhead on it, just the hose sandwiched in the rocks.

You could probably use a scrap piece of pond liner at the edge of your pond and conceal the hose and filter with whatever suits your garden style.

Word of warning on the Tetra Pond filter... They leak! So it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to run liner under the entire unit and to the pond edge (building up the edges of the spillway of course), just as a safety - in case the filter leaks like mine did.
wf.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
use a hole saw and attach a hose from the filter or if a pvc adapter that screws to it and on the other side of the splash block

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here's the set up I had with the smaller version of your filter. I hid it under a faux rock, (upper left corner of this photo), and ran a flexible corrugated hose to the pond edge and hid the hose with rocks. There was no special fountainhead on it, just the hose sandwiched in the rocks.

You could probably use a scrap piece of pond liner at the edge of your pond and conceal the hose and filter with whatever suits your garden style.

Word of warning on the Tetra Pond filter... They leak! So it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to run liner under the entire unit and to the pond edge (building up the edges of the spillway of course), just as a safety - in case the filter leaks like mine did.
View attachment 115216

That looks really great! Perhaps I'm over-thinking it and should just use the hose and some carefully placed rocks, as you have.

And thanks for the warning about the filter!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks - they look interesting, but I don't understand how they should be connected to the filter outlet (if at all)? If the outlet just dumps water onto the narrow end of one of these, wont it just splash all over the place?!
I would just have a joint at the outlet, pointing down onto the gutter splash guard, extending out onto it by a few inches. The water would flow onto the splash guard and down making a mini water fall. Decorate with rocks etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Referring to the attached photo, instead of having the outlet from the filter dump water back into the pond via the hose/nozzle, I'd like to have some sort of spillway or waterfall instead. I'm having trouble finding products or diy articles for something that would work in this situation, and would really welcome any ideas or suggestions of products to look at.

Many thanks!View attachment 115215

Many thanks!View attachment 115215
My I ask is that a pond liner or what did you line the pond with?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think it's a pond liner, but I can't be sure, as the previous house owners installed it.

Ask a Question