I've built 6 mini waterfalls..how to filter it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Oase Biosmart 36000 filter for my main waterfall...it's gravity fed from the pump...over the past couple of days I have added another pump and 6 mini waterfalls to add air and keep the pond moving as the shallows were becoming gunky...

Any recommendations what filter I could use for this new circuit?I'm guessing that a pressure filter will be needed due to wanting the pressure for the waterfalls...ideally I don't want to be pumping dirty water from the deep and pumping crap all over my marginals !

https://imgur.com/gallery/wgrwXcc

This is work in progress so forgive the visual pipes :)

Cheers.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pressure filters do not add pressure to the water flow .They clean the water but they need back flushed often I had 2 on my 1500 gallon pond years ago and had to back flush them 2 or 3 times a day and boy did they stink when I opened them up and they also had built in 9 watt u.v.'s

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
pressure filters do not add pressure to the water flow .They clean the water but they need back flushed often I had 2 on my 1500 gallon pond years ago and had to back flush them 2 or 3 times a day and boy did they stink when I opened them up and they also had built in 9 watt u.v.'s

Thanks, I know they don't add pressure they just allow the filter to be pump driven rather than gravity....

Any suggestions for filtering this circuit ? Obviously I need pump pressure to feed each waterfall...I'm currently using a pre filter on the pump using a wadding and a laundry mesh bag, and it's clogging nicely but this is not a long term solution...

:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A pressure filter will have listed technical specs and will estimate the volume of pond water it is designed to service along with its rated flow in gallons per hour. Over years of pond keeping we have learned that the filter ratings overestimate their capacity. Our pond is designed with about twice as much as the estimates or 16000 gallon capacity in an 8000 gallon pond, and we are adding more. Some folks use the times four measure. A filter properly sized does not need to be flushed three times a day. Ultima suggests twice a week at their normal rating. We go about once every two weeks with the larger capacity. The other variable is stocking density. We are at about 40 gallons a pound. When I had our previous pond at about 20 gallons a pound I cleaned twice a week. Overstocking can be an expensive pain in the butt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'm guessing this pump is a submersible situated in your pond? What about a simple pre-filter?

As I have already mentioned(y) I'm currently using a pre filter on the pump using wadding and a laundry mesh bag, and it's clogging nicely but this is not a long term solution...:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
As I have already mentioned(y) I'm currently using a pre filter on the pump using wadding and a laundry mesh bag, and it's clogging nicely but this is not a long term solution...:)

Oops! I think we cross posted! Great minds and all that!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I really wonder though if, once the pond is cleared up, the pre-filter wouldn't be enough. Your pond is extra dirty while under construction.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I really wonder though if, once the pond is cleared up, the pre-filter wouldn't be enough. Your pond is extra dirty while under construction.

It's moreaout easy of maintenance, I don't fancy getting into the pond to retrieve the pump every week ! :p

Ask a Question