Howdy Everyone

Reaction score
Yep. It sure looks like either a Heron or some king of critter with a claw or beak. Could have been a neighbors cat too I think. The fish will come right over whenever a person or dog goes to the edge so they would be easy prey for any other type critter . In retrospect I probably shouldn't have put in the large shallow end. Actually I did steps .......so my dogs could take a dip. My old pond was 3X as big and the dogs love wading in there when temperatures were steamy hot , so that's why I have the shallow end in this pond. They have never bothered with the fish and have been "swimming with the fishes" for years so I don't think they are the cause of the injury. When I first posted here I hadn't seen the injury . Although I am glad it was not something wrong with my water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome, Glad to hear it wasn't your water or disease causing the problem. I have a water garden style pond too and because it is surrounded by other creatures in nature occasionally I lose a fish. It's not something I want but my pond would be overrun with fish if nothing ever happened to any of them because I get so many babies all the time.

Reaction score
Welcome, Glad to hear it wasn't your water or disease causing the problem. I have a water garden style pond too and because it is surrounded by other creatures in nature occasionally I lose a fish. It's not something I want but my pond would be overrun with fish if nothing ever happened to any of them because I get so many babies all the time.
Something I have always wondered about.....I have had this pond for 3 years (1,000 gal), and previous in a former house I had a 3,000 gallon pond for 16 years. Not once, in either pond has there ever been a baby goldfish! Both ponds have crystal clear well balanced water, with lots of underwater plants like anacharis. I'm sure alot of eggs and babies get eaten, but you would think in all those years I would have seen a few babies. I have done research on the subject, but never came up with any reason for no little goldfish.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sometimes they get sucked up by the filters we have in our ponds. Dragonfly larvae eat them also among other creatures. I usually have at least a couple survive each year but haven't seen any from this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
LS Its seems like I have either a lot or no babies at all. Last year I had 15, the year before none, and the year before that 24 and so on. Now of my 40 or so fish all have been born in the pond except for about 6. I keep a few areas with very thick vegetation including anacharis, hornwort, and about a dozen other plants with lots of roots that none of the adult fish can get too. I feel it makes a natural place for the fry to hide and mature. It's always fun to see a baby for the first time hang out with the adults during feeding time. They are usually on the fringe waiting for an opportune time to snatch a morsel when no other fish are around.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had a ton of babies this year, the hornwort and roots from the obedient plant hanging down into the water I am sure helped. Still plenty of water room for them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You have a huge pond and lots of hiding places addy. You need all the babies you can get and your fish make such pretty ones :)

Ask a Question