Howdy

DenniMac

Dogs, Cattle, Horses, Cats, & Fish? (Oh My)!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b (approx)., N Ca., Napa County Area
Country
United States
You may want to rethink the stock tank and go with a liner pond or maybe a bigger stock tank .I saw a really nice 300 gallon tuff stuff 1 at rural king and it was only 199 dollars ,would be neat if you had a rural king near you .The tuff stuff ones have a straight up and down inside instead of the taper like rubber made ones .Good luck and welcome and only a suggestion
I bought a 550 g “Tuff Stuff” stock tank to use as a pond for some goldfish, but I filled it first, & one side bulged way out! (I may have overfilled it). We have 3 Border Collies who are waterholics, so it has to be above ground. I planned to used large potted plants & very large boulders, to make it harder (impossible I hope), for the dogs to get in.

DenniMac

Dogs, Cattle, Horses, Cats, & Fish? (Oh My)!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b (approx)., N Ca., Napa County Area
Country
United States
My name is Debbie and I live in Nashville, TN. I used to have a whiskey barrel water garden. Only 20 gallons. That turned out really well. I also have a 20 gallon indoor fish tank.

I'm planning on doing a water garden in a 100 gallon stock tank. I've seen a lot of ideas on Pinterest. Looks as if they turn out pretty well.
Hello! I’ve been working on making an outdoor pond for our now huge, indoor goldfish, to put on the patio. I looked at many stock troughs, & bought one by “Tuff Stuff” since it had better reviews that the “Rubbermaid” troughs did, of the same size & shape. We have 3 Border Collies who are “trough divers”, so I’d wanted a trough pond with slick, slanted sides, to keep them out. I’d already primed & prepped it to paint with a copper metalic paint, & I decided to “test fill“ it first.
I was very surprised to see that one long side was bulging out! I’ve received some very nice replies here, suggesting that I contact the manufacturer, since it shouldn’t bulge out like that, or I can put build some type of a sturdy surrounding base around the trough.
I’m glad that I test filled it before I put a lot of expensive paint, & even more time into it! A formed pond with a liner, built into a nice, VERY TALL surround, may be my next attempt. Best of luck, it really should work well!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
A stock tank pond is nice, but for the same money, I think you can build it a bit larger if you dug a hole and put in an EPDM liner. Most of us started out small, then got hooked on the hobby and just had to build bigger!

Ask a Question