Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Mine did great in NJ but not as good here .They seem to not like as much heat

Hydrangeas handle heat and humidity very well or they would not be so common here in the South. The do require regular watering and can't be allowed to dry out. Their name gives a indication of this Hydrangea. Hydra- derived from hydro (water).

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hydrangeas handle heat and humidity very well or they would not be so common here in the South. The do require regular watering and can't be allowed to dry out. Their name gives a indication of this Hydrangea. Hydra- derived from hydro (water).
Yea I live in North central AR temps reach up to 120 here (F*) sometimes (rarely but is usually around 100) the hydrangeas have done fine, now I just have mop heads but I see no effect on them at all. Water them about once a week plus the rain we get here once a week, usually keeps the ground SOAKED for a week so watering where I live really fluctuates. I got my hydrangeas for a penny each, my step father works at lowes so not only do I get 10 percent off of stuff, but also I get items lowes will throw away, Charlie (outside lawn and garden manager) calls me when she has something to give away, I have gotten some Damn fine buttefly bushes and hydrangeas, ferns, roses, 99 percent of things in my garden (and I have a BIG garden) came from lowes garbage or clearance (same thing). On the water part again, if you add cardboard then put mulch on top of it, it reduces how much you have to water by at least 3x's.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We get really dry here in july and august and I have to worry about watering then because of the well

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
love the plant but never can keep one alive even with watering :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Hydrangeas and foxgloves are my two favorite flowering plants! I love that stage in the hydrangea - when it has that pale chartreuse along with the lovely blue!
When we bought our house, the only flowering shrubs (or plants of any kind) on the property were 1 hydrangea and another "old timey" bush I have yet to identify. The hydrangea has been here a looooong time and is very happy!

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I love Blue Mophead Hydrangeas since I was a kid. To stay blue though, you have to have a lot of iron in the soil, otherwise they tend to fade and then become pinkish. If you have a white or pink one, you can bury anything that's iron in the soil around it, and it will begin to turn blue, but it takes a while.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I love Blue Mophead Hydrangeas since I was a kid. To stay blue though, you have to have a lot of iron in the soil, otherwise they tend to fade and then become pinkish. If you have a white or pink one, you can bury anything that's iron in the soil around it, and it will begin to turn blue, but it takes a while.
That must be why ours are so blue. The clay soil down here is ORANGE which makes me think there must be a lot of iron in it.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Always thought certain hydrangeas were neat for their customizable ability's.. Neat species :)

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Since we have hard alkaline soil they are red but we bought some of that holly tone hydrangea soil acidifier (we could have gone a DIY route but, didn't feel like it) so hopefully over time the flowers and blooms change color.
no kidding I just bought 60 (plus) more flowers at lowes.... that makes about... 360 now

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One of my favorites also, I have them all over my yard. I wait till end of season clearance sale and pick them up cheap. Only bad thing about that is many are missing their tags. I have 2 large urns at the end of my driveway, they are the first thing you see. I wanted something special for them, I planted them with tree hydrangea, stops traffic when in bloom.

Ask a Question