I can see clearly now.... the algae's gone...

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah I have a feeling it's coming. I'm fighting it but I just love all the rest of your ponds with the fishies. Still trying to find out if I can just put in 2 boys or 2 girls so I don't end up with a gazillion. I don't even know if they can do the whole changing sex thing just to mess with me though.
We will see, gotta get through at least this year.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think you are right T...............I just notice the T up there under your avatar

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Isn't it funny how that change is so sudden? One day you can't see anything and the next day it looks good enough to drink...

If you don't want any babies, why not just get all male fish?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Actually what you have to do is get larger ones from an existing pond. In the Summer when they are spawning, it is real easy to see who is chasing, and who is being chased.

Reaction score
Yay happy for you! I just got mine up and running and cycled with no problems. It cycled it with plants, 1 large goldie, 5 frogs and 12 red minnows. Try 5 rosy red minnows when you think you want to start. They are so fun to watch as they zip all around and friendly to the point of following me around the pond and nibbling on my legs and feet. They stay tiny, eat pond life and produce little waste. They lived in a large tote with lily pads and an air stone for months in my yard. Ya can't go wrong, plus they are only .15 at petsmart. They aren't designed to have long life spans so letting them spend out their shorter life in a pond is the best they can have. Better then being feed to an oscar!!!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks Lisaebetten. I think the pond almost waits for you to start getting panicky and then clears. It was taunting me. It really is amazing how quickly it can go from green to clear. Although I'm sure it can go the other way just as fast.

Reaction score
One thing to consider when a pond clears overnight is where did all that algae go? It's either sitting on the bottom or has filled the filter. Time to give a gentle cleaning. Also, yay! Clear pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
The rosies might have an extremely *short* lifespan in a pond full of frogs... :confused:

I heard that rosies are only supposed to live 3-4 years, but my 4-year-old rosies still seem to be in full health and were spawning again this Summer. I added over 100 new ones at the beginning of Summer, but my pond is almost completely covered in plants so I have no idea how many survived. Hopefully a lot, because I really liked seeing the whole swarm of them swimming around, and there were still quite a few before the plants grew over.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No filter... I have been netting some floating stuff off the top the last few days and noticing it clearing. It didn't look like there was much on the bottom so I was hoping it was all the plants that I had put in were doing their thing.
I do have plans to get in their this week so I will add a netting on the bottom while I'm in there. Good Point Diesel.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
My first fish were three goldfish that my nephew won at the fair. His dad didn't want them in his pond, and I had just filled my pond a day ago. I said, "Sure. Throw them in. Lets see what happens." Somehow, all three lived. Brand new water from the tap, no conditioning, brand new pond. They are still swimming happily with about two dozen others I've added.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catski717

Latest Threads