I can see clearly now.... the algae's gone...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@tbendl The netting on my long handled pool net wore out so I used fiberglass screen door material to make a new net for it. All you would need was a long pole w/ a shaped piece of aluminum roundy type piece of metal on the end of the pole to attach the net to. You could use those plastic tie strips to hold it on or sew heavy fish line around it by hand. Or just buy one, its much easier. But if your net ever wears out you can replace it w/ the screen door material.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was just going to get a piece of tulle or something fine and make a sleeve to go over my leaf net so when I net the bottom it will pick up some of the finer stuff. I think it'll work.

Reaction score
5 weeks and 5 days... Be patient. LOL I was almost thinking I had done a bad bad thing and it was never going to clear.
It will happen DD!! I'm sending positive clear water thoughts your way.

Awww Thanks!

Really havin a hard time not buying a UV unit, especially after a visit to a local landscape place that has a crystal-clear goldfish pond that's beautifull. I was drooling.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I've been given mixed info on the uv light. There seems to be little doubt about it working, provided the flow through it is right, but the added cost and the fact that it has to be replaced yearly, (although I just read a thread that Larkin said you could extend the uv light life up to 4-5 years). I just decided to wait. I'd really rather have this pond clear itself rather than start using mechanical stuff. Although I can totally say that now that I have clear water.
Do you have a lot of floating plants and bottom plants? After I got those in it seemed to clear much more rapidly than it had been.

Reaction score
I've been given mixed info on the uv light. There seems to be little doubt about it working, provided the flow through it is right, but the added cost and the fact that it has to be replaced yearly, (although I just read a thread that Larkin said you could extend the uv light life up to 4-5 years). I just decided to wait. I'd really rather have this pond clear itself rather than start using mechanical stuff. Although I can totally say that now that I have clear water.
Do you have a lot of floating plants and bottom plants? After I got those in it seemed to clear much more rapidly than it had been.

We put four lillys and two of some other plant back in that we removed and saved in a kiddy pool while everything else got killed during the cleanout. I don't think there was any underwater plants before. The lillys are just now recovering and have leaves that have made it back to the surface. After all those hours and hard work digging-out lilly roots and debris muck from them, I'm sorta gun-shy of plants right now, lol.

I haven't been able to make any progress on the waterfall and gravel bog build in the past week.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I put corkscrew rush, water hyacinth, water lettuce and some type of tall grass in as soon as I could. Addy1 sent me hornwort, aracharnis, parrot feather, and elodia crispa (some float some sink) and that is what seems to have made the difference. Although, like I said almost everyone told me to wait 4-6 weeks, so I planted and I waited. I would definitely put some plants in though, they will help with the algae. And this is without my waterfall or bog up working yet either.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So I'm back to pea soup green... I got in the pond on Thursday and mucked around quite a bit and we are back to green. *sigh. The good news is I got gravel in my bog and a few plants in so let's see what happens next.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh my, Sounds kinda like the three goldfish my niece won at the county fair this summer. They are in my stock tank as I type this......

The way I see it is you don't want to waste a nice pond like you have by not having any fish in it ;) And incase you don't know fish are addicting :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeavyMetalPeach

Latest Threads