I can see clearly now.... the algae's gone...

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah I have a LOT of frogs out there Shdwdrgn, every morning when I walk out and it's still dark all I can hear are the splashes as they jump in. Some are fairly large by the "kerplunk" I can hear.
Crap, now that I can see the bottom maybe I'll look for them tomorrow morning after it lightens up a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
My first fish were three goldfish that my nephew won at the fair. His dad didn't want them in his pond, and I had just filled my pond a day ago. I said, "Sure. Throw them in. Lets see what happens." Somehow, all three lived. Brand new water from the tap, no conditioning, brand new pond. They are still swimming happily with about two dozen others I've added.
Your city probably used chlorine... it will evaporate out of the water within 24 hours (faster if you have a waterfall or something else stirring up the surface). On the other hand, chloramine doesn't evaporate out and has to be chemically neutralized.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Ya, they use chlorine and pond was running.

Reaction score
I get butterfly nets for $1 at a store called 5 Below. The holes are very tiny so as not to tangle the butterfly, so it works real well with small debris. I just do a quick scoop of the bottom every once in a while. No need to actually put a net in the bottom :)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmm, I wonder if I could put some cheesecloth or nylon netting over my existing net so I could make it myself.
I mean I like the pretty colors idea but think I could adapt my leaf net to work.
And diesel, I do have some debris on the sides of the pond, (it's been there for awhile but now I can clearly see it). Is this the stuff I should be scooping out?
I can take pictures tonight to show you if need be.

Reaction score
I have algae growing on the sides, on the liner, and I leave it. Consider it biological filtration and a snack for the fish. The algae consume ammonia, which is toxic to fish. But if I recall correctly, you dont have fish?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Correct, no sish. Just plants. I scooped the bottom of the pond this morning and nothing came up but I will try a butterfly net and see if it's just broken down into something too fine for my leaf net to pick up. I have had some clumps of floating stuff popping up over the last few days that I've been netting off, any chance the algae had a suicide pact, all died together, clumped up and floated to the surface for me??

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
5 weeks and 5 days... Be patient. LOL I was almost thinking I had done a bad bad thing and it was never going to clear.
It will happen DD!! I'm sending positive clear water thoughts your way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Correct, no sish. Just plants. I scooped the bottom of the pond this morning and nothing came up but I will try a butterfly net and see if it's just broken down into something too fine for my leaf net to pick up. I have had some clumps of floating stuff popping up over the last few days that I've been netting off, any chance the algae had a suicide pact, all died together, clumped up and floated to the surface for me??
Congrats (y)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gohip

Latest Threads