I can see clearly now.... the algae's gone...

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I guess anything is better than the nothing I have now. I was kinda thinking I'd go with an additional pump that, between the 2 pumps, would give me that water turnover every 2 hours.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I guess anything is better than the nothing I have now. I was kinda thinking I'd go with an additional pump that, between the 2 pumps, would give me that water turnover every 2 hours.
Water movement helps.

Reaction score
So just the pump with no hose sitting on the bottom? Any clue as to what type of GPH I should look at?
I vote the biggest you can budget! Now not so much that your plants will be blasted to the other side but you know what I mean. If your pond is around 5,000....well I don't know for sure 1500 gph? Just guessing, sorry. I think the multi port aerator really will help! This is mine: sale price $35
p-88100-74528R_15-pond.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The green thing is the pump T and the little airline tubing fits onto a stem on the pump and you then put the little balls on the ends of the tubing. The pump has a power cord you plug in to a socket. Only allow the tubing to go in the water w/ the balls on the ends. I have covered my pump to protect from the moisture by putting into a tupperware container w/ small holes cut for the power plug and the tubing to come out of. Mine also sits on my covered porch near the pond so stays dry. The long tubing runs to the pond from the porch. I have a large air pump too that is moisture proof that sits by the pond but I still cover it. I only run it in the summer tho for lots of bubbles. Here I only need my little one in the winter to just keep a small hole open if we get ice. I also leave my falls running and my spouting water pump so my pond circulates. We don't get too cold here tho.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I got it now. I did some research online. I swear sometimes I go looking for 1 answer and end up with 2 questions. Hehe I just don't understand the difference, (for my fishless pond) the difference between water movement and aeration with regard to algae control. I started another thread on it to ask for clarity.

Reaction score
Tbendl- the bacteria that consume ammonia and nitrite (nitrobacter, nitrosomonas, nitrospira etc) thrive in water that has a high dissolved oxygen content. If you can increase the DO in your water, using an aerator or a water pump to increase the surface agitation to allow more air/gas exchange, it will allow the benificial bacteria to outcompete the algae for it's "food", thus starving the algea out of existence. Algae thrive in a pond with a low level of DO (dissolved oxygen) because the bacteria are not functioning at maximum capacity.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I guess that's where I was getting confused. Since I don't have fish or run off containing fertilizers I was confused about why I had so much algae. I think it's a combination of the fertilizer from my plants, which is isn't much, and more importantly the non moving water, (or low DO).

Reaction score
I guess that's where I was getting confused. Since I don't have fish or run off containing fertilizers I was confused about why I had so much algae. I think it's a combination of the fertilizer from my plants, which is isn't much, and more importantly the non moving water, (or low DO).
Sure, that could be. As plant leaves and other organic matter fall into the pond a rot, they do create ammonia. Im sure it's also from plant fertilizers you are using. Could also be dead animals in there, who knows. Of course, you know plants create oxygen duing the day, but they also use it up at night. I would be interested to know if, in the total picture, plants produce more than they consume, or the other way around...

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well what started this was a dead frog I believe. I found the bones last week. I think the reason it's taken so long to clear was the lack of water movement in the pond. Nothing floats up in the afternoon like it used to and when I got in last week, there doesn't seem to be anything on the bottom as far as leaves or plant matter hence my confusion.
I don't really care about the green water, but when I pulled the pump cover last week, I noticed the smell, and that's when I started to get concerned. I want healthy water, whatever color is fine since again, i don't need to see the fish.
I am hoping DP plants will consume more than they produce, otherwise I'm screwed. The only other plant matter is maybe some lily pads and some tall grasses that have dipped into the water but nothing in the water to brag about. lol

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
If all you're worried about is green water, there is a simple solution. It's called a UV clarifier/sterilizer!
John

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm more worried about unhealthy water than it's color so the pump instead of an aerator will keep the water healthy by moving it and if I decide I want clear water, I can then add the UV filter to it. Especially since I can then control the flow rate.

Reaction score
Wow that's a great price Lisa, does it hook up to a pump?
O.K. I don't know if your doing the air stone thing, but I turn one port on at night only. Because of what I have read about the plants using up the O2 at night. I wanted it for the fish... soo. My lily's where in a large clear storage tote this summer and the sides became thick with a dark swampy looking green. Around then I got 12 minnows to put in the tote as a sort of QT, I also added an air stone to circulate the water and give the fish some air at night. Between the fish and the stone the swampy green stuff went away!! I'm sure the minnows feasted but they are pretty tiny and the tote walls where covered in swampy green. Im not an expert, just a first time pond owner and that's just my experience. I know I will have more plants in the years to come so I wanted my pond to be set up now. Good luck in all your work ahead!

Reaction score
O.K. I don't know if your doing the air stone thing, but I turn one port on at night only. Because of what I have read about the plants using up the O2 at night. I wanted it for the fish... soo. My lily's where in a large clear storage tote this summer and the sides became thick with a dark swampy looking green. Around then I got 12 minnows to put in the tote as a sort of QT, I also added an air stone to circulate the water and give the fish some air at night. Between the fish and the stone the swampy green stuff went away!! I'm sure the minnows feasted but they are pretty tiny and the tote walls where covered in swampy green. Im not an expert, just a first time pond owner and that's just my experience. I know I will have more plants in the years to come so I wanted my pond to be set up now. Good luck in all your work ahead!
Oh and those 12 minnows are still alive!! I prepared myself for some dying off due to the unhealthy environment they are raised in for sale.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noelia5838

Latest Threads