I can see clearly now.... the algae's gone...

Reaction score
Well I wish I had your aeration/pumps!!
I definitely do not have enough flow for my size pond but I didn't think that would be an issue since I don't have fish. I have a 700gph pump that runs to the bog and even that only runs for a few hours every day. I am going to look at craiglist. I hadn't even considered that. I am sure I need more movement/aeration in my pond. And plants... lol it's neverending
I think we will get to a maintain stage soon and the big expense of the build will be over. I actually bought a second pump w/ extras off CL so I could have a back up. I have read to may stories here about dead pumps so I'm in like Flynn.

Oh and when you get your tidal wave going you can surf!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like the quiet reflective water sometimes, so I just need to keep trying to find a balance.
You could have the pumps turn off, when you want quiet reflective water. If you pull from the bottom and have the water feed back via a underwater feed the surface will barely move.

I was thinking I'd cut 'em in half to save myself the extra digging.
He's good or he gets the backhoe! lol
Well he was good today! We did a nice 3 mile walk up here in the mountains, beautiful weather, trees changing more here than at home. A bunch of deer running across the road in front of us, cute little fawns and parents.
I WAS SPECIAL DANG IT
You are special, but you still need to have some water movement so you don't have a stagnant hole of water. My pond turns over around every two hours.

Reaction score
Oh no, don't worry about photo dumping on me. It's a learning process and since I wasn't going to put fish I figured the moving of pond water every 2 hours didn't apply to me. I WAS SPECIAL DANG IT... But with the sun and lack of shade, I think getting an aerator or at least a pump that moves the lower layer of water is in order. I may consider a spitter on the other end of the pond but really don't want that much surface movement. I like the quiet reflective water sometimes, so I just need to keep trying to find a balance.
The spitter does make a lot of noise. When I turned mine off I was like, Oh the sound of silence!!! The umbrella water feature thingy (don't know what it is called) is very quite. I really like the idea about the pumping under water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
I get aeration with the water falls and stream and I do think that helps. The first year I had the pond and mother nature filled it with all those teeny tiny little plants called algae, I would sit and just listen to the water and watch the falls. You can't even tell the color of the water when you are focusing on enjoying the sounds.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My one little preform, is full of aracharnis and horn wort, zero algae. (string)
The second small pond, now a liner, was a pita preform, has two lilies and a small lotus. No aracharnis, the string algae loves it. The little pond loop has very slow low volume water change over. I let the second pond get the string, the bees have used it all summer as their own personnel watering hole. They land on the string and drink up.

My last steam pond is full of aracharnis and some parrots feather it has zero string algae. Interesting to see how each pond is different than the other and all get the same water

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You could have the pumps turn off, when you want quiet reflective water. If you pull from the bottom and have the water feed back via a underwater feed the surface will barely move.

So I would get another submersible pump and just put the outlet hose like on the other side of the pond but still underwater?

And snoozer, I agree. I really wasn't too concerned with the water color but when I pulled the pump it smelled bad when it never has before. It's better today so I'm going to assume it was the dearly departed croaked croaker that did the damage. I'm going to drain a little water this weekend and put fresh in. My pity party has ended and I'm back at it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was on my phone, coming out of the mountains, pita to type on that thing.

I did that in one pond, with an external pump, drew water in and put back into the pond via a under water pipe. I put it as far from the intake as possible. Kept the surface of the water very still.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Having the outflow on the other side of the pond would just help with the over all water movement. But also not having that outflow would still give it water movement.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Can't help you there, I would guess a pump that would have enough power to push the water around in the pond, whole pond, so you don't have dead spaces. My guess! no backing on this guess..............

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Noelia5838

Latest Threads