I can see clearly now.... the algae's gone...

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Addy1 I am so disheartened. I probably just need to step away for a few days but I feel like that pond OWES me some clear dang water instead of being busy killing frogs. I probably shouldn't have dumped the algaecide in but I couldn't help myself. I know it partly has to do with the heat and not having enough plants in yet but darn it. I'm having a pity me day can't you tell. :censored::drowning::cry:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond went through a cloudy stage, when first built, a ton of fine pea gravel dirt, it has never had green water. I figure it is just because of the size of my bog and the tons of plants.

That is fine, you can have a pity party, we all have had them. I have had them with my arizona pond, when the string algae grew like a forest, I would toss in liters of peroxide to kill it off. This pond does not do that, thankfully!
Give it time. I have also heard a good aerator going will help against green water, algae.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Did you finally get it under control in AZ? I'm convinced it has to do with how hot it gets here.
Every year June, the string would explode, every year I tossed in 14 liters of peroxide, cured it until the next June. I didn't have green water there either, just string algae.

I did not have a big bog there. More of a upflow rock filter with plants. lava rock.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
*sigh... And yes, I've been looking at aerators today. j.w has mentioned that to me as well. I was lulled into a false sense of clarity when it cleared awhile back. Like I said, I think I just need to back away for a few days, get some perspective.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
*sigh... And yes, I've been looking at aerators today. j.w has mentioned that to me as well. I was lulled into a false sense of clarity when it cleared awhile back. Like I said, I think I just need to back away for a few days, get some perspective.
Give it time, sometimes that is the best thing to do.,
Between my stream , bog, stock tank waterfalls I have a lot of aeration going on. I have 4 good flow waterfalls, and two low flow waterfalls. That may be another reason the water stays green free.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
.....I'm gonna have to dig a another pond....
LOL I now have this image of me in my 80's and having people come to visit and seeing 35 tiny ponds placed haphazardly around my backyard...

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
seeing 35 tiny ponds placed haphazardly around my backyard
Tiny? Mine would have to be at least 5 foot 10 to hide the man.............lol
I told him behave or the backhoe he bought me would be put into good use! he behaves.................

Reaction score
Sorry about your first victim :( I have to check my skimmer everyday for frogs as they hitch hike a ride from my floaters into the box. I have a very strong pump for my pond size. I keep a small mesh bag of filber fill in the skimmer net to filter my fines also so they have a place to sit up. Its scares me every time I have to take the lid off cause I don't want to see a corps. Plus they jump up at me when I get the lid off!

Ya know you have A LOT of water there so I would figure it will take longer and lots of plants to chow down on all extras so it will just take time for a balance I think. Don't beat yourself up over algaecide, it's not the worst thing in the world to have done. In my reading I've learned that the beneficial bacteria needs a good oxygen source so I have the Tetra Pond Dual stone from Menards. 1 stone in my falls box where the bioballs are and one I set in the pond at night to give the fish more air as the plants take good and give off bad at night. Another thought my pigs... oh i mean fish groom ALL the time. With them noising into the nooks and crannies my pond is CLEAN. I only feed twice a week. I am nervous there won't be enough food for them to nibble on over the winter so I may feed more in hope of letting some algae build for winter stores!!!

Is your pump big enough for all your water? You may need good water flow. I also have a small 60ish gph small fountain pump I put in the deep to keep the bottom moving so I don't have dead spots (see pic w/DIY prefilter)
IMG_1641.JPG
. I may be overdoing it but I got 90% of my pond as a kit off craigslist and it came with tons of stuff, so much that I don't use some of it.

I just ordered at 700 gph off ebay for only $20, it is for a winter mini water spill project to be installed in spring. I just wish I had your size pond!!!

Reaction score
Oh here is my pond that was 75% rain water for weeks and I just topped off in this pic with the hose. So I had the frog spitter, small fountain pump and the umbrella type spitter going with plants. No skimmer, big pump or water falls hooked up yet. I keep thinking you need more aeration or movement, that is just my gut telling me that. I am not a professional ponder, I just pretend I am. I don't want to photo dump on you but our friends pond is in full sun and it is clear, but with a slight hue of greenish. Mine is clear with a slight hue of brown. If ya want to see her pond I can post it also, she deals with birds so its all wired up.
IMG_1659.JPG

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well I wish I had your aeration/pumps!!
I definitely do not have enough flow for my size pond but I didn't think that would be an issue since I don't have fish. I have a 700gph pump that runs to the bog and even that only runs for a few hours every day. I am going to look at craiglist. I hadn't even considered that. I am sure I need more movement/aeration in my pond. And plants... lol it's neverending

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh no, don't worry about photo dumping on me. It's a learning process and since I wasn't going to put fish I figured the moving of pond water every 2 hours didn't apply to me. I WAS SPECIAL DANG IT... But with the sun and lack of shade, I think getting an aerator or at least a pump that moves the lower layer of water is in order. I may consider a spitter on the other end of the pond but really don't want that much surface movement. I like the quiet reflective water sometimes, so I just need to keep trying to find a balance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snowy

Latest Threads