I love my all rocked pond

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Where you hiding mucky?? You wanted pics!

Reaction score
Ah sorry Wayne
I looked at your picture a while back but didn't have time to post at the time, then it seemed like you disappeared for while. I thought maybe you went missing in action like Buckry. LOL
Anyway, I really like the Easter island statue, and it's obvious you put a lot of work into your rock work, I have a fraction of the rocks you do and my back hurts every time I think about moving them around.
I'm not a real fan of fountains in ponds though, although the colors look pretty cool, and I'm sure my wife would love it, especially all lite up at night like that.
Like Colleen and others I am also a big fan of plants, and to me your pond is screaming out for some vegetation. I think if you had lots of plants growing all around the rocks would look a lot more natural.
You've done a good job and have some real potential there. I think by this time next year you could have a real garden of Eden.
Do you have any places nearby where you can find wild plants like bulrushes and irises ? It's too bad you don't live near me, we could have that pond 3/4 planted in a weekend.

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Yes I disappeared, putting in sod, big job lol! I knew you would like it but for the rocks. If I have time left this month, I might do some planting.

Thanks much

Wayne

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Wayne, what you have is really a "clean slate of canvas" ready to be painted with plants and shrubs, and we all want to come and plant your yard up quick cause the rest of us have fllled in our garden already and now we are bored and want to "reshape something brand new and exciting"!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Wayne, what you have is really a "clean slate of canvas" ready to be painted with plants and shrubs, and we all want to come and plant your yard up quick cause the rest of us have fllled in our garden already and now we are bored and want to "reshape something brand new and exciting"!
Speak for yourself, Colleen! I have too much left un-done on my own pond to drive to Alberta and plant up someone else's. I do have a ton of excess plants, though.... anyone in Ontario interested?? :question:
John

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My yards not all done either, the back is so cluddered with old stuff that my Husband won't get rid of, and the area looks like it's "under natural restoration" ha ha ha, Wayne on the other hand, his yard looks "ready to plant" and it will be exciting to see how he finishes the yard with HIS "green thumb", we just help from this end... Ha Ha HA! :)

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I can't wait! Sod 25% in now. Darn I'm slow!!!!!!

H

humbirdlover

I got lots of plants that will winter here nice, giving away a huge sweet flag, I posted it on my Facebook, under Colleen Pennington. If your ever in my area I will give you some chucks of my plants, not too late to get them in before winter. In the very early spring I will have more chucks too that will be easier to transport to Edmonton. :)
what is the plant in the second pic? With the arrow shaped leaves? Pretty :)

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hummingbird, that was my Calla, blooms white, have to bring that one in for the winter here. Which reminds me I better get going and clean out the Greenhouse and start moving some stuff back in, like all my succlent dishes I just love to make. Got to start wearing gloves more, my hands are sure getting beat up! Hows it going Wayne! What are you going to do with your fish for the winter? :)

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I'm wintering them again. Last year had some fish kill. Changing it up for this winter. Going with the Pond Master air pump and a sinking heater 1500 watt. That should do it??? What's your method?

Sod at 45% now !!!!

Hey, I will have a couple landscaping questions for you, Up for it??

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I never use air pumps for wintering, they just don't "cut it" for our winters. My method is similar to the natural creek or river flow, the flow is still there, but reduced, as it would naturally occur. I keep the 1500 watt "Peavey Mart" cattle stock heater where the water flows well, ensuring the pond is evenly heated. I run most of my pumps all year round, with the filters. I shut down some of the pumps, to water features such as spitters or waterfalls. I keep the main pumps that connect all three ponds together, but shut down some of the extra pumps that I run in summer only. I never rely on only one pump, that way if one fails, there is still others that keep water moving from pond to pond. I check my pond frequently when temps below - 30 c. I don't have the same set up as most people, I do things much different, have been wintering pond for over 20 years this way, never have any problems with winter kill, water stays fresher with pump and filter, moving water from bottom pond to top pond, one heater in middle pond, next to water flow coming out from top pond. I heat the pond when temps are below -12 or -15 c. I let some ice build naturally, water still flows well under the ice like the creek or river would naturally flow.

I don't have a skimmer that most people use just because they would not winter well, water level has to be constant for them, and when the ice starts to build it naturally displaces some of the water, as water is turned to ice on the surface, and would most likely run Skimmer dry.

I know LOTS of people here that used just air pumps and heaters over the winter and had the same problems as you, with winter kill.
I think air pumps may work for some further south, but never heard of anyone here having success with them here in Medicine Hat. (Zone 2/3)

I would be happy to hear your landscaping questions and will try to help if I can. :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to turn mine off, the bog has such a huge surface it sucks in the cold, then the water fall starts to ice. I can see it freezing over and the pond water just being pumped out over the bog over the edge, draining the pond. Last year I pulled the pump dec 1 this year just going to watch what the winter brings and pull it when we must.
The skimmer, I turn off the ball valve and stuff the skimmer with a plastic bag full of bubble wrap, That displaces the water and with it turned off no more is drawn in.

I hope air works for me, most likely will, only a bad winter will tell the story. It worked during our mild winter. We have no weather like yours colleen, usually snow falls then melts within a week or so, 2010 we had 60 inches, record snows, very cold, the new (only 4 fish) pond froze over solid 8 inches thick, the deer were walking on it..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love the court yard and have always like that idea .It makes for another room onto your house plus can keep those pesky critters and neighbors dogs and cats away .Actually printed out a pic of his for a friend who lives in Arizona because these are common there but he wanted something that looked like a room and told him about mucky's build and he loved it .His is going to be bigger because of the small pool and hot tube but same idea's but with maybe some tweaking .So sorry mucky I stole your idea . :razz: Well he did ,so blame him

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Colleen dear, I am assured from a well known pond builder in Edm, that the Ap100 [rated for up to 10,000 g pond] Pond Master will have enough power and air flow to keep a hole open in the ice. The heater is just for added warmth at the bottom for the cute fishes.

Maybe people are cheaping out with small air pumps that won't do the job as to why they having problems?

Ask a Question