I should have dug deeper

Reaction score
Country
United States
In my research for pond depth most suggested 2 ft and since I live in high desert zone 7 I thought that was adequate. Looking at the pond I’m getting worried. My pond measures 22 inches of water when full. Is that enough for the fish to overwinter? Next year if I have enough energy I will take it apart and re dig it. Here’s a picture

Attachments

• IMG_6665.jpeg
    IMG_6665.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6707.jpeg
    IMG_6707.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_6641.jpeg
    IMG_6641.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 82
Reaction score
Country
United States
My little pond turned out to be under 16 inches deep and my goldfish did survive in zone 7.

It did ice over at colder times, except for a small opening where my waterfall is. I let my bog filter and pump run all winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice pond. Would be an awful lot of work to re-dig it. You may be able to get away with the current depth if you have an air stone added to the pond. I could not quite tell if you had an air stone in there, the second picture looked like you might have one but was not sure. Also good to keep a low number of fish and stick with goldfish.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Nice pond!

What is the winter temp range there? Personally, I would be more concerned with the summer temps (only because where I live….we get hot in the summer and it really takes a toll on the pond if you aren’t prepared for it). Agree, that as long as it doesn’t freeze solid, your fish will probably be OK. If it looks like temps will be an issue, you can always make a cover.

This will be a good opportunity for you to get your feet wet, though not literally. Work with what you have for a few seasons (assuming this is the first winter). Get used to pond care and maintenance in general — the basics (nitrogen cycle, effects of evaporation, algae, dealing with temperature variations, fish health…..) during this time. Take it a step at a time and concentrate on learning your pond and your climate. THEN you can dig deeper and bigger!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Zone 7 is not that cold for that depth. We were in 7 here at one time then they moved us up to 8 for some strange reason. Anyway lots have ponds here at that depth and the fish do fine. Mine is deeper tho. As long as it doesn't freeze solid all the way to the bottom it will hopefully be fine. Just keep something running to keep a hole open in the ice. I run my waterfall and a couple other little ones all year. I turn off my aerator tho as it is really too large and blows bubbles up like a volcano in a pretty large area. Should get a smaller one for winter tho.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks everyone :) Temps don’t usually get too cold for long here. I remember hitting teens and maybe a tad lower here and there. The sun is present a lot of the year and summers are hot. There is a small evergreen that should shade the pond in late afternoon once it gets big enough. I’ll probably monitor the temp and run the pump without the waterfall to agitate the surface and see how it goes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here in zone 5B, many many MANY ponds are built 24 inches deep and fish do great over winter - goldfish and big koi alike. Gas exchange is important for sure, but even during our very very coldest winters the pond ice only gets so thick. The ice itself acts as an insulator for the water below it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
First rule of building a pond--Make it bigger.

Second rule--Dig it deeper.

Unfortunately most of us aren't aware of those rules when building our first pond.
i wish i hadn't heard those words when i was researching, but then again i could have got wider with the deep end but thats just a wish it was bigger when whats here works just fine

my biggest recommendation is to keep the pond only as wide as a pole net and vacuum can reach half way across the pond

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I did run across that saying, where the average person had three ponds. A big, bigger and biggest

So i set out to build my biggest. My problem is i am not the average fish keeper, but i didn't know this until i was done with the first rendition. What i thought would be my biggest pond and even that became too small ,

Koi GET LARGE AND THE WORD KOI MEANS LIVING JEWEL . its way to easy to want them all . I have 20 NOW and have bought 8 this winter already thanks to the wonderful WORLD WIDE WEB. And not to mention the price these dealers want for a living jewel.

It can easily become an addiction....... one that can certainly drain your pockets quickly

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
In stead of ripping appart what you have built can you add on to it? Use the existing as an addition . A extension or a intake bay ? seaming liner is quite easy and we have a sticky that will show you how its done.

Ask a Question