Should I euthanize my butterfly Koi with Carp Pox/ herpes

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey guys, my pond guy suggests that I should euthanize one of my fish who has carp pox/herpes now that the weather is changing because he says that it can spread to my other fish. Has anybody had this happen?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome!

I’ve had goldfish live long and happy lives with carp pox lesions. I didn’t do anything to them, as there is no treatment. Yes, it can lower their natural immunity to other fishy diseases. It can spread (it’s a virus). With cooler water temps, the lesions will be more noticeable. But as to whether you should euthanize….that is entirely up to you. It’s purely cosmetic and doesn’t affect the fish’s life. If lesions were on the gills or in/on the mouth, they could interfere with eating or breathing — that’s a possible lifestyle issue.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
mousey2.gif
@tanyaclick
I'd just allow them to go on w/their lives w/that disease as long as they are eating, swimming and enjoying life.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m thinking your other fish have already been exposed to the virus and will either get it or not. I have one with pox lesions, otherwise healthy, and it’s been with ten others for six years and none of them have developed lesions. Here’s more info: https://cafishvet.com/fish-health-disease/koi-pox-aka-carp-pox/
My friend has the same situation with hers she said. Although he fishes lesion is on top of its head which doesn't seem consistent with pox/herps 🤔 but she said she brought it to the vet and that's what they said.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Did you go and read that link that was provided by @Mgessert ?
I did. I've read a lot of articles. They all say it's highly contagious but not life threatening. He was in there for at least a week rubbing up on all the other fish so I'm guessing they've all been exposed. Time will tell. It can take a decade before one has a breakout from being exposed to this fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As you said, it's not fatal. It would be highly unusual and very unlikely for all your fish to catch it.

They have all been exposed, so euthanizing that one fish would be a useless exercise. It's already too late and he may be the only one who ever has it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do not euthanize. The carp pox lesions will come and go. And likely in more of your fish, not just this one. It would be sad to euthanize the one that has a lesion now, when lesions come and go. Think of herpes in humans. You live with it, but do not die from it. They are already all exposed. It is likely present in most pond fish populations.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
carp pox is the most abused and mis diagnosed problem with koi. if your seeing fuzzy spots like the size of a tip of a q tip but not as tall thats is a bacterial fungus not carp pox. its a water conditioning problem your filtration needs to be improved or you might have run off getting in the pond .

Reaction score
Country
United States
As you said, it's not fatal. It would be highly unusual and very unlikely for all your fish to catch it.

They have all been exposed, so euthanizing that one fish would be a useless exercise. It's already too late and he may be the only one who ever has it.
That's how I feel too. I just wasn't sure if anyone else has been through this because my pond guy says it can kill my whole pond. I think you're thinking of the other version of the herpes virus, which is much more rare from what I've read. I get the feeling this fish has been quite around the block. He doesn't seem to be a young fish. I've only had him for several months, but he eats like a monster, and he doesn't grow at all. Hes got some splits in his fins. also, his fins are thicker than usual, which is another telltale sign that a fish has this virus even when it's not infected. Which tells me that he's probably survived with this for a long time. He's white so he's probably already more sensitive that others.

Reaction score
Country
United States
carp pox is the most abused and mis diagnosed problem with koi. if your seeing fuzzy spots like the size of a tip of a q tip but not as tall thats is a bacterial fungus not carp pox. its a water conditioning problem your filtration needs to be improved or you might have run off getting in the pond .
Nope that's not it. He has round lesions on his tail mainly. Like the size of a dime. They're red/pinkish. It almost looked like ring worm at first. Nothing on his body. He does have white bumps on his other fins.

Attachments

• IMG-20230921-WA0014.jpg
    IMG-20230921-WA0014.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20230921-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20230921-WA0001.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20230921-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20230921-WA0002.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 27
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I have found that pond store and pet store employees and "pond guys" are some of the most misinformed people out there. I take everything they say with a healing pile of salt. The folks here are much better educated about fish and ponds.

All your fish are not going to die from this. Actually none of them are, so forget that. It's likely that most ponds have a fish or two with carp pox and they live long and healthy lives. They don't have a pond full of fish with it, just maybe one or two.

I would not euthanize for this. There is no reason to at this point. It's just not that contagious and it won't kill them.

Ask a Question