United States
doggie.gif
@gardenshrups

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
My little pond turned out to be under 16 inches deep and my goldfish did survive in zone 7.

It did ice over at colder times, except for a small opening where my waterfall is. I let my bog filter and pump run all winter.
I'm in the mountains of zone 7 - hot in the summer, many below freezing nights in the winter. My pond started at 12" deep and became shallower as sediment accumulated. I hadn't planned on having fish, but I did add goldfish. Raccoons waded in and ate the first couple batches. Then we made a night time cover. Then spent big bucks to make it 3' deep. My goldfish wintered over at all depths. I also keep the waterfall running to oxygen and keeping a 'breather' hole.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Goldfish are tough little fish - they are actually affected more by water being too hot than too cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Too hot can be a problem with shallow ponds, too. They can heat up fast in the sun.

So always remember that second rule.

Ask a Question