I surrender! But have one last question about my skimmer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Well, I give up on the leak in the bog. Put it all back together with new liner completely covering the original liner and it still leaks! I’m just going to only run the bog for a couple of hours a day and live with that much water loss for now. I have one last question for this year though. I will attach inside and outside pictures below. I used to have a little weir situation that floated at water level to create a better draw on the surface but it kept falling apart. I wonder if anyone has any ideas on how to make and attach something to do the job. The two hoses coming in to the T connection are from the two rain barrels connected to the float valve for top up. The other elbow is an easily adjustable over flow. The other problem I had with my original weir was that the float valve kept interfering with it. Any idea what I can do?

Attachments

• IMG_7967.jpeg
    IMG_7967.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_7968.jpeg
    IMG_7968.jpeg
    339.2 KB · Views: 15
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good grief That first picture shows a rather mickey mouse termination strip you have 4 yes 4 bolts trying to seal the liner . THE ODDS OF THAT WORKING IS VERY VERY SLIM. You should have a minimum of 4 to 5 bolts on the bottom alone another 3 to 4 running up each side. and that's for a termination strip that rigid and shaped to the contour of the area. I DON'T SEE any signs of any sealants under the screws or along or on the white band aid termination strip. so this is a compound bucket and i can all but guarantee thats your leak

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Good grief That first picture shows a rather mickey mouse termination strip you have 4 yes 4 bolts trying to seal the liner . THE ODDS OF THAT WORKING IS VERY VERY SLIM. You should have a minimum of 4 to 5 bolts on the bottom alone another 3 to 4 running up each side. and that's for a termination strip that rigid and shaped to the contour of the area. I DON'T SEE any signs of any sealants under the screws or along or on the white band aid termination strip. so this is a compound bucket and i can all but guarantee thats your leak
I appreciate the time you took to look at it (and all the help you’ve offered) but that is absolutely not the leak. I had hoped it was as I did notice that the caulking that was running around the lip was coming off and I removed it prior to taking the photo, but I’ve been running the skimmer/waterfall for over 24 hours now and haven’t lost a drop of water. All I changed was to turn off the pump going to the bog. So I’m 100% confident the leak is in the bog and as the plumbing for the bog is all within the pond it must be the liner itself which again I don’t understand because I just added a new piece of liner to completely cover the old. I don’t know what a termination strip is but I’m guessing you’re referring to the piece of plastic bucket that I used to sandwich the liner between. There is sealant there between the liner and the plastic bucket. I believe I put the bolts right through it while it was still un cured but I can’t remember for sure about that, I made that contraption 3 or 4 years ago. As I sit here now I have the pump to the bog running (for about an hour now) to make sure the little bio critters stay hydrated. When I turned it on it only took about 15 seconds for the water to start flowing over the separator so I also guess I know that the leak must be writ near the top because the water level must have stayed just an inch or so down or it would’ve taken much longer to fill again after sitting with the pump off for the last 24 hours. .. looking at my bucket skimmer set up again just now.. you’re right, I can’t believe it isn’t the problem either. 😂

Ask a Question