Got eleven inches of rain last night, was a historical weather event in my area

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have worked very hard this year to ensure I have a healthy beautiful pond for both myself and my fish babies (Rosies & goldfish) to enjoy. Last year we had a crazy hail storm in July that destroyed all of my plant life - it was 15 minutes of 3 inch hail. All of my fish survived, the plants didn't fare so well. It was very traumatic for the fish and they were in hiding for some time.

Fast for to this July, last night, and the temperature dropped over 20 degrees overnight and we got eleven inches of rain, declaring a state of emergency. My pond of course overflowed like crazy and had tons of debris. It also caused runoff dirt to get in and the water is now brown. (we also lost power and had water come in through the ceiling of our home even with our brand new roof that was replaced four days ago due to last years hail storm.)

When I got home from work tonight I worked until it was dark to clean out all the debris. Salvage plants that were knocked over as two large tree limbs fell into the pond, and tried to make things right. I separated all of my floating plants (lettuce & hyacinth) into floating rings so I could the skim out all the loads of debris from the oak tree, juniper tree, walnut tree and whatever else made its way in. Because of the overflow I found tons water lettuce that had washed out and I put them back into the water. My bog plants are all fine, some of my potted plants were washed away from their shelves and sunk (pickerel, black taro, forget me nots).

I'm not sure why I am posting this. I guess I am just wondering, as this is only my second summer with a pond, and to have two unprecedented destructive weather events back to back each summer - is this the norm? It killed me to have to be at work all day, knowing that my pond was in shambles and needed my attention. I feared that I would come home to a pond dead fish due to the influx of rain water and ph change. I did manage to get some baking soda into the water before leaving for work. ELEVEN INCHES OF RAIN within seven or so hours. Its just bananas!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Wow! That is bad luck with two major events like that. Isn’t it surprising how responsible we feel for our fish and plants? I hope they are all okay and your roof leak wasn’t too serious.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm having a hard time even comprehending what 11" of rain in 7 hours would be like. We have large rain events here in the PNW that feel like the entire ocean is getting dumped on you for hours straight, and those usually end up being 2-3" over 24 hours. 2-3 of those and all the major creeks and rivers are near flood stage.

11" in 7 hours is just...well... I don't know what it is. I can't even imagine it.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow! That is bad luck with two major events like that. Isn’t it surprising how responsible we feel for our fish and plants? I hope they are all okay and your roof leak wasn’t too serious.
We have to get the roof replaced and all the drywall in the ceiling. The roof was just put on four days ago as a result of last years hail damage. Ironic.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm having a hard time even comprehending what 11" of rain in 7 hours would be like. We have large rain events here in the PNW that feel like the entire ocean is getting dumped on you for hours straight, and those usually end up being 2-3" over 24 hours. 2-3 of those and all the major creeks and rivers are near flood stage.

11" in 7 hours is just...well... I don't know what it is. I can't even imagine it.
I agree! Two inches has always felt like a ton of rain to me as well. The news is stating the only other rainfall of this amount on record was 145 years ago. They have declared a state of emergency here. Many homes ruined, animals in shelters drowned, and severe damage. Mother Nature is such a force.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have to get the roof replaced and all the drywall in the ceiling. The roof was just put on four days ago as a result of last years hail damage. Ironic.
If your roof is 4 days old and the winds lifted the shingles . I would look at your local building codes and see if Huricane nailing is required. And if your contractor did so and followed the code. Architectural shingles should have weathered the storm ok.
UT 11 inches is nuts I have seen / been caught in 4 inches in 3 hours. That's only a third of what you got . That had to be and I'm sure your still digging out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would look at your local building codes and see if Huricane nailing is required. And if your contractor did so and followed the code. Architectural shingles should have weathered the storm ok.

If the weather hasn't been super hot, it's probably that the adhesive strips hadn't properly sealed yet. Can take a day or two of hot weather to make the bond. Not usually a big deal when you get a new roof in the middle of summer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the weather hasn't been super hot, it's probably that the adhesive strips hadn't properly sealed yet. Can take a day or two of hot weather to make the bond. Not usually a big deal when you get a new roof in the middle of summer.
yes i am aware of the glue strips, I was a General contractor for 25 years and been in the trades my entire life. I have put down more Square then i ever want to think about. My Outlook is there is no good day for roofing

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your roof is 4 days old and the winds lifted the shingles . I would look at your local building codes and see if Huricane nailing is required. And if your contractor did so and followed the code. Architectural shingles should have weathered the storm ok.
UT 11 inches is nuts I have seen / been caught in 4 inches in 3 hours. That's only a third of what you got . That had to be and I'm sure your still digging out
It wasn’t windy, the roofers didn’t do a great job and will be ripping it up to redo it for a third time. It has been very unfun and I am ready to be finished.

Moni_Pond

Fish Mom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well over the last night and morning we now received another five inches. This is really bananas. My water was just starting to settle, goldfish were beginning to come out again. I don’t know if this is a result of climate change or not but it is deflating. I am lucky though, because many more people had to be rescued from flooding last night.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It wasn’t windy, the roofers didn’t do a great job and will be ripping it up to redo it for a third time. It has been very unfun and I am ready to be finished.
What exactly are they ripping up for the third time . I can teach a chimp how to roof and not have issues. Is there a valley crickets or dormers involved?

Unless you have a very shallow roof pitch and rain shouldn't be an issue if there's no wind. The ridge vent could have a splash issue with 11 inches.

But even a valley with the new underlayment if the water got under the shingles it should have been OK.

Even if there was no ice and water barrier.

Is the problem around vents and skylights ?

Good luck to you

Ask a Question