If you could build your DREAM POND...

Reaction score
Imagine for a moment that money and available land/building area are NO OPTION. Terrain and climate/planting zone are also whatever you want them to be. Think about it for a minute, then CLOSE YOUR EYES... and IMAGINE YOUR DREAM POND... (then open them and continue reading, LOL)

Now...

What kind of pond would you have? Natural in appearance? Modern? Asian/Japanese-inspired? Above ground vs. in-ground?

What shape would it be? Round, rectangle, kidney-shaped, irregularly-shaped?

What kind of liner would you use? EDPM? All stonework/masonry? Maybe concrete? Spray in/on polyurea liner?

And... what kind of edging would there be? Stones, natural/plants, boards (if above ground), or maybe capping (again, above ground)

How big is this dream pond?... dimensions across, deep, gallons, etc...

What kinds of fish would you have and how many?

What kinds of plants would you have? In it, around it, etc...

What would be your filter(s) of choice, and with what kind of plumbing? Skimmers/no skimmers, DIY, purchased, above ground, under ground, drains, etc...

Bog/veggie filter?

Would there be other water features too? Such as fountains, waterfalls, streams, streams and smaller ponds, etc...

Protection from predators? Nets, motion-activated spitters, statues, other coverings, etc...

Do you almost have your dream pond now, but wish you'd done just a couple things differently? What would you have done differently?

Have you seen something elsewhere (a magazine, a pond/garden show, a friend's yard, a public garden, etc.) that you would LOOOOOOVE to have as your very own?

Anything else I haven't considered?... I wanna know ALL. :D

Now spill it... copy the questions if ya want (erase all my extra examples n' such), and then answer 'em in your reply. I can't wait to see your answers!!

~LuLu

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What kind of pond would you have? Natural in appearance

What shape would it be? irregularly-shaped

What kind of liner would you use? ppl 36

And... what kind of edging would there be? Stones, natural/plants,

How big is this dream pond?... 28x20x5

What kinds of fish would you have and how many? goldfish shubunkins

What kinds of plants would you have? In it, around it, bog, floaters, lilies, all hardies

What would be your filter(s) of choice, and with what kind of plumbing? Skimmers, DIY, 2 inch pvc

Bog/veggie filter? definitely

Would there be other water features too? waterfalls, streams, streams and smaller ponds, .

Protection from predators? maybe just side fishing line for herons,

Do you almost have your dream pond now, but wish you'd done just a couple things differently? nothing

Have you seen something elsewhere (a magazine, a pond/garden show, a friend's yard, a public garden, etc.) that you would LOOOOOOVE to have as your very own? nope

Reaction score
I'd give you as many hummingbirds as you could catch. ;) Caught them on video fighting yesterday morning... and then caught myself talking out loud to them...
"THERE'S ENOUGH FOR ALL OF YOU LITTLE PIGLETS. KNOCK IT OFF!"

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sorry hate to say this but knowing what I know now my dream pond would be a waterfall a stream and be pondless . The noise the beauty and not as much work

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey if we are really dreaming here then I would go humongous like mogise says and I'd have me a super dooper bog filter like addy's and lots of beautiful goldies and shubbies w/ long flowing fins and tails, dragon flies and hummingbirds, critters that visit but do no harm to my fishies and a park like setting all around it w/ temps that stay in the mid 70's to low 80's year round w/ rain only at night and sunshine every day and no lawns to mow..........and oh yes a chorus of frogs singing boldly every evening...........bring it on

3frogssing.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My dream pond? Addy's existing pond of course and the hummingbirds too!

Poor things are going hungry now, we won't be home until tuesday to refill their feeder. I thought giving them two full feeders would make it last..................yeah right

Reaction score
I would have so many koi and tons of plants and no algae what so ever! And did I mention no snakes,herons or coons.

Reaction score
Hmmm.........the only thing I would change about my pond is get rid of the pea soup green! But, I'm working on it. All my new filter mats and bio media should be here by Friday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lulu, actually my goal is to buy some cheap land about 3 hours outside of Chicago with a real barn and a creek that runs through it. Then I am going to build a huge pond and try my hand at growing grapes to make wine. I already found a site of about 17 acres that would work. Now I just have to figure out where to get the money to buy it and time to spend there!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
dont know about all that but i would need an earth moving company in to build mine, !! i could feed my fish whilst canoeing !!

Thats exactly what I was thinking! My canoe is sitting beside the garage right now, if i could just pull it right into my own pond instead of having to drive to the lake or river that would be great. An Aunt and Uncle of mine have a huge pond they dug on thier property with a floating dock in the middle and a paddle boat to get out there. Great for swimming and paddling around, but I'd need to have my koi in a smaller pond where I could see them all the time.

So I think my dream pond would be a huge pond I could canoe around connected to a smaller maybe 3000 gallon pond for my fish.

Ask a Question