I'm a new koi pond owner and have tons of questions!!!!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Peggy
You said you have well water that is softened. I have a well but we don't soften the water. Wonder if that softener stuff is bad for the fish and if there is any way you can use water at your place w/o the softener stuff in it?

Reaction score
How long ago did you do the cleanout. I agree with Dave that discolored water is usually a result of leaves and other debris breaking down in the pond. If that isn't the case, I wonder if you have a lot of fish poop breaking down causing the color? Have you ever checked the color of the source water? One other thing I would do is test the water for ammonia and nitrate.
Thanks so much for your suggestions. We cleaned the pond totally about 2 weeks ago and it is beginning to look really good. Maybe all is settling down now. New filters, working etc. The water is clear in the house and it is now clear coming thru the waterfall. Only one large koi who seems happy and playful when I show up. Once I get the pond perfect, I'll get him some buddies after they have gone thru the guarantied process.

Reaction score
Peggy
You said you have well water that is softened. I have a well but we don't soften the water. Wonder if that softener stuff is bad for the fish and if there is any way you can use water at your place w/o the softener stuff in it?
Thanks. We can't change the water but the koi in the pond now has been in for over a year and he is healthy and playful when he sees me. Has grown almost a foot so I'm ok with the softened water. The ones we added were fine until the frog got them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I read a bit on the internet just now about the water softeners and sounds as tho lots agree they don't hurt your koi. So w/ you having it that way for over a year sounds like it is just fine. Some said something about it removing the calcium and magnesium minerals so they were talking about adding koi clay to make sure their koi were getting all the good minerals. Not sure that is necessary but who knows. Guess it's time to relocate those big frogs!

Reaction score
I read a bit on the internet just now about the water softeners and sounds as tho lots agree they don't hurt your koi. So w/ you having it that way for over a year sounds like it is just fine. Some said something about it removing the calcium and magnesium minerals so they were talking about adding koi clay to make sure their koi were getting all the good minerals. Not sure that is necessary but who knows. Guess it's time to relocate those big frogs!
Thanks j.w. I appreciate your advice on the koi clay. I'll read up on it. Yes the frogs will be gone!!!!!

Ask a Question