I'm a newbie with pond questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am going to play the part of Black Sheep here. 10 Koi in 2500 gallons is not too many fish providing you have adequate bioconversion (filtration) and water flow (at least 3750 gph, preferably 5000 gph).
As to filtration, are you firmly set on going the DIY route or are you open to installing pre-engineered modules? DIY has its advantages, mainly initial cost but can be short on aesthetics and functionality and ease of maintenance. Pre-engineered units are more expensive, but are designed to blend in more easily aesthetically, are easier to maintain and are designed with functionality being of prime importance.

I would prefer a diy for filtration. Aesthetically, it will be fine. We've got that part worked out. I am trying to keep my spending to a minimum, as I've already spent quite a lot of money and now I need to buy a new pump. I'm sure a pump for 4500 gal isn't going to be cheap. :unsure:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Max was over 85 degrees and minimum was around 45 degrees and deeper was warmer and that also depended on how much water was in the pond and if I had to add water at anytime .Well water is always cold since well is so deep .When it gets to temps here in the 80's I cover the pond fast so it never gets that hot usually .Like this summer we had the wettest ever but it was all at one time and not for days at a time .Then night temps. went down and dew kept everything alive .We never have green grass by mid July .I will have to pull my book and check it to make sure .My pond even in winter gets mostly sun and last christmas it was almost 75 degrees .Friends came down From NJ and lucky them there was still some summer stuff left over in the stores .I think Chrissy's temps would be more like addy's .But i do feel that over aerating and more water movement keeps the pond clearer .This is my first year after the rebuild and I really did expect more than just a little green water in early spring .So I am still amazed by this out come

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Also, I'm not sure what I was thinking. My pond is 4500 gal, not 2500!! It's 22x11 with an averaged depth of 2.5 ft. Starts at 1 ft in the shallow and goes to 4.
I was wondering the same when I posted my comment, but I knew if it was wrong you would catch it.
Same calculations on pump size apply, only now it is 6750 gph minimum, 9000 gph ideal. If you are not planning on adding a skimmer, then I strongly recommend going with an external pump.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I thought you were off because mine is around 5000 gallons :)I don't have a skimmer but to me exteral was to much of a hassle .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I am going to play the part of Black Sheep here. 10 Koi in 2500 gallons is not too many fish providing you have adequate bioconversion (filtration) and water flow (at least 3750 gph, preferably 5000 gph).
As to filtration, are you firmly set on going the DIY route or are you open to installing pre-engineered modules? DIY has its advantages, mainly initial cost but can be short on aesthetics and functionality and ease of maintenance. Pre-engineered units are more expensive, but are designed to blend in more easily aesthetically, are easier to maintain and are designed with functionality being of prime importance.

I'm in favour of this because the more informed a ponder is, the better the decisions that are made.
On the other hand, DIY filtration is often inefficient, but inefficiencies can be overcome by exceeding the calculated size requirement.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chrissy As you're building your filter, be sure to take pictures along the way. It really does help us [on GPF] as well as "lurkers" when they can see how something goes together. And it can help you down the line if you decide to change or add something, you can look at your pics to see what/how you put something together.

Also, while you're pump-hunting, keep in mind that cost doesn't equal quality! There are some very good, low wattage pumps at reasonable prices.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my 2900 gph 179 dollars and the 2400 gph was 127 dollars if i remember correctly .End of season is the best sales .I bought in the winter

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Chrissy As you're building your filter, be sure to take pictures along the way. It really does help us [on GPF] as well as "lurkers" when they can see how something goes together. And it can help you down the line if you decide to change or add something, you can look at your pics to see what/how you put something together.

Also, while you're pump-hunting, keep in mind that cost doesn't equal quality! There are some very good, low wattage pumps at reasonable prices.

I sure will! I like to read the reviews on amazon before I purchase. So I will see what the previous buyers have to say about the ones I consider.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But remember always look at warranty .I have see a couple of people over the years here buy pumps and find out they die in a month or 2 or have problems with them and no one to contact about them I had harbor freight pumps and still have several of them that still work after 10 years .My neighbor has 2 of them after her so called great pump died after just over a month .I still have my 2150 gph one also from harbor freight .and it at least 5 years old and still works .The others I use for my U.v. and winter pumps besides in my stock tanks .Remember sometimes reviews are written right after they get the pump and they are happy but how do they feel after 3 months or 6 months or a year .I look at the sight that makes the pump and try to see if they have honest opinions .I took ponddiggers suggestion on the laguna ones .Plus i looked at there sight .Cost does not always mean it is good and there are lemons out there .A company maybe great but does not mean something does not get past them .I had that happen with a range i bought and even addy has had that happen .Things happen but you hope they will back there product but sad to say it is not always true .Look at parts also because they can cost as much as a new pump .impellers are the number 1 killer of pumps .Keeping the pump clean every couple of months pays off .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
keeping the pump clean every couple of months pays off .
utoh I am in trouble, my poor pump has never been cleaned (been running between my pond in az and this pond for 12 years now), but it is a external pump, with a huge leaf basket.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I clean the inside out really good and rum water through it with the hose .But internal and external pumps are much different ,your leaf basket really is like a better form of prefilter than all these internal pumps ever could have an sure lots easier to clean .I like internal pumps because I don't have to worry about protecting them from winter .I am lazy on that fact and probably forget it and it would freeze on me .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The way I have my system set up, I seldom clean the leaf basket, it is huge and does collect anything that does get sucked in. I stir up the bottom to let the pump suck it up. I went to clean the pond before we leave, there was nothing to take out. A bit of algae, some fine dirt that stirs up easy, ow no build up of muck. I have not touched it since spring.

I have used external pumps since I started ponding, sometimes it is all in what you are used to. This is my first pond in a freezing area, in phoenix they were never turned off. Here I just pull it, about 15 minutes of work, done................I use silicone on the o rings for storage.
I am, maybe, over thinking this winter, since we are turning all off so early.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Hey Chrissy- Also late in welcoming you and I see we are neighbors. I'm in Mechanicsville. As Sissy stated, Laguna pumps are great . I have several that have been running for years with no problems.

Ask a Question