I'm a newbie with pond questions

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Oh mitch!! You just broke my heart. I love each one of these fish and don't want to part with them. I've watched the 6 grow freon tiny little things. They're like pets. But I limit myself to what I have now. Although I've been on the search to replace a beautiful solid black koi that the heron ate in the summer.

I know how you feel, but don't replace that koi.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
All good comments and valid points. And I forgot about head height [thanks @sissy]. I thought about, but didn't mention "reducing" your current fish load, as it sounded like you were attached, but that is something you might have to consider at a future date. Ten koi is a lot of fish for 2500 gallons.

The solution -- build that 2nd pond and move some fish there! Yes!

Also, many koi keepers will make "floating plant rings" to put their water lettuce/hyacinth in. They keep the koi from getting at the roots. There is a thread and I think it's a "sticky" in the DIY [?] section for making these. Very easy, and lots of variations to be found.

I'm going to suggest that you start a new, separate thread addressing the submerged vs external pump question. I know we have members using each kind. If we keep talking about more specific pump issues in this thread, the only people who are going to read it are the people who are already following. A new thread might bring in the people who can answer and help you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
My pond is in sun all day and that is why I had to build the hoop house to help cool down the water plus it is only a couple of feet from my septic tank and that heats up the ground .Great for winter but not summer .Guessing since you say yours is between the driveway and sidewalk you end up with some what the same situation .I try to keep mine simple .I over aerate with the laguna air pump 12 outlets and paid I think under 140 dollars and it came with 2 air stones but sure wish I had bought the bigger one. I use 2 --- 1 1/2 inch bulk head fittings and my filter tank is 60 gallon one .you can get them at tractor supply but more expensive and tank prices you see .I got bulkheads at aqua-aqua online

Sissy, do you ever record your pond water temperatures?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yep all the time .I have a wireless one and in pond ones that I pull and look at 2 are weighted to the bottom of the pond and 2 float close to the edges .That is the main reason for the hoop house .I had the water line left from well driller that has been laying around and all I had to buy was the pipe brackets and the shade fabric I got a couple of years ago from sams club end of year sale .The banana plants do help a lot now but the afternoon sun right over the pond is the worst .I love the heat from the septic tank in the winter

Attachments

• build stuff - pond 2015 027.JPG
    build stuff - pond 2015 027.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 195

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi Chrissy.

You have an awesome pond. I think once you have adequate water circulation and an established bio filter your pond will be less frustrating.

I really like Laguna pumps. I have a 4200 GPH pump for my 1,000 gallon pond. As Sissy mentioned, I also added 2 air stones this year and found that it prevented the suspended algae from taking over my pond which is in full sun. Adding plants will also help control the algae. Marginal plants that I like and that are easy to grow are yellow flag iris and blue flag iris. Be aware though - You have to keep on top of the yellow flag iris or it can take over your pond. :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you to everyone for all of your suggestions and ideas! I am very happy I found this group. Someone to bounce ideas and questions off of! I've been trying to do everything myself and constantly reading and watching videos for problem solving ideas and new techniques. I will do some research tonight on which pump will work best for my needs and be making that purchase this week. I hoping to have everything ready for instalation next weekend and I can't wait to see how it works out.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
yep all the time .I have a wireless one and in pond ones that I pull and look at 2 are weighted to the bottom of the pond and 2 float close to the edges .That is the main reason for the hoop house .I had the water line left from well driller that has been laying around and all I had to buy was the pipe brackets and the shade fabric I got a couple of years ago from sams club end of year sale .The banana plants do help a lot now but the afternoon sun right over the pond is the worst .I love the heat from the septic tank in the winter
What are your maximum and minimum water temperatures?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thank you to everyone for all of your suggestions and ideas! I am very happy I found this group. Someone to bounce ideas and questions off of! I've been trying to do everything myself and constantly reading and watching videos for problem solving ideas and new techniques. I will do some research tonight on which pump will work best for my needs and be making that purchase this week. I hoping to have everything ready for instalation next weekend and I can't wait to see how it works out.

We're all here to share our pond experiences and knowledge.
There's a great group of people here from varying environments.
I enjoy learning from other ponders too.(y)

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
This is a very nice forum. There are many types of ponds and many good ideas.
Here is some info I had on determining a pump:

• 1. Look for the pump that uses the least wattage; that will cost the least to run
    2. Pumps are sized by gallons per hour (GPH) output at one foot of lift (height).
    3. Ideally, you want to turn over the volume of the pond with fish 1 - 2 times per hour. 1000 gallons would need a 1,000 – 2,000 GPH pump, and that does not include the head pressure, or the width of the falls, which increases the GPH that is needed.
    4. Dynamic head pressure (lift) (For a pump not at the bottom of the pond. If pump is on bottom need to add the depth of the pond.):
    height of falls + (length from pump to falls / 10) + (# of 90 degree bends / 2) + (# adapters, joints / 4 ) = head
5. Gallon per hour (to support waterfall width)
(water fall spillway * 125) + (gallons in pond * 1 times per hour) = pump Gallons Per Hour

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I am going to play the part of Black Sheep here. 10 Koi in 2500 gallons is not too many fish providing you have adequate bioconversion (filtration) and water flow (at least 3750 gph, preferably 5000 gph).
As to filtration, are you firmly set on going the DIY route or are you open to installing pre-engineered modules? DIY has its advantages, mainly initial cost but can be short on aesthetics and functionality and ease of maintenance. Pre-engineered units are more expensive, but are designed to blend in more easily aesthetically, are easier to maintain and are designed with functionality being of prime importance.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is a very nice forum. There are many types of ponds and many good ideas.
Here is some info I had on determining a pump:

• 1. Look for the pump that uses the least wattage; that will cost the least to run
    2. Pumps are sized by gallons per hour (GPH) output at one foot of lift (height).
    3. Ideally, you want to turn over the volume of the pond with fish 1 - 2 times per hour. 1000 gallons would need a 1,000 – 2,000 GPH pump, and that does not include the head pressure, or the width of the falls, which increases the GPH that is needed.
    4. Dynamic head pressure (lift) (For a pump not at the bottom of the pond. If pump is on bottom need to add the depth of the pond.):
    height of falls + (length from pump to falls / 10) + (# of 90 degree bends / 2) + (# adapters, joints / 4 ) = head
5. Gallon per hour (to support waterfall width)
(water fall spillway * 125) + (gallons in pond * 1 times per hour) = pump Gallons Per Hour

Calculations of Head for a submerged pump begins at water level.

Ask a Question