I'm a newbie with pond questions

Reaction score
Country
United States
Although Hayward is an excellent brand swimming pool pump, it is not constructed to run 24/7/365. A true Pond pump is needed here.
Need photos of your pre-filter and filter before any comment/suggestion can be made on their effectiveness.
Cease using any algaecides or other chemical/biological treatments. These are absolutely unnecessary in a pond with proper fish load, filtration and water flow.
All of us here on this Forum will help you in realizing a balanced pond that is a Joy and not a worrisome 'Money Pit'.
Best to take things one step at a time.

Ok. So I was thinking that may be where I'm going wrong. Do you have any recommendations on the pump I should be using? I need to come up with a new filtration system as well. What I had in mind was the current pump, going into a large trashcan filtration, entering at the top and draining at the bottom, with the proper attachments. I bought everything to make this, but haven't tried it yet. I saw it used on YouTube videos. But really, I just need something that will work permanently and long term for my size pond. My filtration I'm currently using is a temporary setup. It is a crate filled with a mesh, barley bail, and bio balls.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! I stuck with shubunkins no koi, just filter my system with a huge bog. The filter users will help you out with how to get your pond working better.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! I stuck with shubunkins no koi, just filter my system with a huge bog. The filter users will help you out with how to get your pond working better.

Thank you, Addy. I am really looking forward to getting this all figured out. I love my pond and koi, but it's becoming very frustrating.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok. So I was thinking that may be where I'm going wrong. Do you have any recommendations on the pump I should be using? I need to come up with a new filtration system as well. What I had in mind was the current pump, going into a large trashcan filtration, entering at the top and draining at the bottom, with the proper attachments. I bought everything to make this, but haven't tried it yet. I saw it used on YouTube videos. But really, I just need something that will work permanently and long term for my size pond. My filtration I'm currently using is a temporary setup. It is a crate filled with a mesh, barley bail, and bio balls.
What are your long-term plans for your pond? Did I read about a possible expansion in the future [sorry, but I get everyone's threads confused]?

So, first I would get the new pump. No specific recommendations there, but you normally want to recirculate your water a minimum of 1-1/2 times an hour, probably more so with koi. With your size pond and your current fish-load, I personally think you are either over-stocked or at the very least, you are at your upper limit. And your fish will grow, so figure on having the pump capacity to over-filter as the bio-load increases. One thing to look for in a pump is its energy consumption -- not all pumps are created equal. I would look for one that has versatility as far as what connections you can use with it [my Home Depot pump is energy efficient, but the way it's made, I can't attach a pre-filter which is something I desire]. And some require the use of brand-specific fittings.

You might be on the right track as far as filters go. Most of us on here have some sort of a DIY filter. YouTube is a good reference, and there are some threads on GPF that might be helpful. And just in general, Google and search until you find what looks like it will work for you. No 2 ponds are alike, so a filter that 1 or 50 people like, might not be what works for you. You said your idea is based on a YouTube video -- just out of curiousity, can you post a link to that video so we can see what you have in mind?

You sound like you know a little about ponds and fish care already, which is another good start. So you probably already know that you'll need good mechanical filtration since koi are not very clean fish. And you'll need very good bio-filtration. The secrets to good bio-filtration are having as much surface area as possible for the "good bacteria" to colonize, and having good, consistent, and even water flow over and around the bio-media. Again, there are a gazillion ways/methods/media....... Look for what will work for you and your budget.

And I'm about talked out. Hopefully you'll get more input from other members.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Less fish = less work.
I would reduce your koi population to 2 koi.
Trying to max out your fish population to what your filtration can handle can lead to frustration, certainly.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ponds should not be frustraing.
An outdoor pond has been the simplest, less work hobby I have tried.

I'm sure it will be less frustrating when I figure out this pump and filtration issue. It's just something I've been fighting with since I built the pond. I've come across many diy ideas and have tried to implement them. But at this point I just need some recommendations on a good pump and filtration system that will accommodate my sized pond. I love the pond! I just need to solve this issue.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are your long-term plans for your pond? Did I read about a possible expansion in the future [sorry, but I get everyone's threads confused]?

So, first I would get the new pump. No specific recommendations there, but you normally want to recirculate your water a minimum of 1-1/2 times an hour, probably more so with koi. With your size pond and your current fish-load, I personally think you are either over-stocked or at the very least, you are at your upper limit. And your fish will grow, so figure on having the pump capacity to over-filter as the bio-load increases. One thing to look for in a pump is its energy consumption -- not all pumps are created equal. I would look for one that has versatility as far as what connections you can use with it [my Home Depot pump is energy efficient, but the way it's made, I can't attach a pre-filter which is something I desire]. And some require the use of brand-specific fittings.

You might be on the right track as far as filters go. Most of us on here have some sort of a DIY filter. YouTube is a good reference, and there are some threads on GPF that might be helpful. And just in general, Google and search until you find what looks like it will work for you. No 2 ponds are alike, so a filter that 1 or 50 people like, might not be what works for you. You said your idea is based on a YouTube video -- just out of curiousity, can you post a link to that video so we can see what you have in mind?

You sound like you know a little about ponds and fish care already, which is another good start. So you probably already know that you'll need good mechanical filtration since koi are not very clean fish. And you'll need very good bio-filtration. The secrets to good bio-filtration are having as much surface area as possible for the "good bacteria" to colonize, and having good, consistent, and even water flow over and around the bio-media. Again, there are a gazillion ways/methods/media....... Look for what will work for you and your budget.

And I'm about talked out. Hopefully you'll get more input from other members.

I'm not looking to do an expansion on this pond. It is situated between 2 sidewalks and my driveway, so no room for expansion! When I get this one all figured out, I would like to build another in my side yard. I live on a large farm and absolutely love my pond. So tranquil. I will look for the youtube video and post it. Thank you for you pump input! I will start looking tonight. Something I have been wondering about tho is if the submerged pump or above water pump works best. I'm just so unsure on the pumping method! (n)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
She has enough water volume to support the fish and once she gets a good pump and maybe builds a better filter she should be fine .I always look at energy use and then head height of a pump .My hoses are all sump pump hoses and all run inside the pond so leaks are not a problem with them .Both filters are inside pond liner that runs right back into the pond .Over feeding fish never helps water quality .I helped several people here that had water issues and helped them build filters and then stopped them from from the over feeding helped .There is plenty to eat in a pond .Let them clean there own house .All I do is net the bottom of fish poo .I read years ago about over aerating a pond helps with water quality and have to say it has worked for me .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Less fish = less work.
I would reduce your koi population to 2 koi.
Trying to max out your fish population to what your filtration can handle can lead to frustration, certainly.

Oh mitch!! You just broke my heart. I love each one of these fish and don't want to part with them. I've watched the 6 grow freon tiny little things. They're like pets. But I limit myself to what I have now. Although I've been on the search to replace a beautiful solid black koi that the heron ate in the summer.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Figuring out a pump and filtration issue is not a simple matter, Chrissy.
The quickest route to your happiness with your pond is reducing the amount of work that your filtration has to do.
Reduce the number of fish you have and the level of intervention that you have to do will be reduced.
There is a biological fiter that your pond has, but it has it's limitations.
If you want to intervene beyond that, that's ok, but it will require education and patience.

Reaction score
Country
United States
She has enough water volume to support the fish and once she gets a good pump and maybe builds a better filter she should be fine .I always look at energy use and then head height of a pump .My hoses are all sump pump hoses and all run inside the pond so leaks are not a problem with them .Both filters are inside pond liner that runs right back into the pond .Over feeding fish never helps water quality .I helped several people here that had water issues and helped them build filters and then stopped them from from the over feeding helped .There is plenty to eat in a pond .Let them clean there own house .All I do is net the bottom of fish poo .I read years ago about over aerating a pond helps with water quality and have to say it has worked for me .

Sissy, I have had algae problems all summer. I have assumed it was because I get so much direct sunlight and don't have adequate surface coverage from plants. I tried the floating hyacinth but the koi ate all of the roots. I have a great lily in there now that seems to be doing well. It's too late now to buy more for the season and I'm not sure where to get them. This one was given to me. But next year I think I will put 3 more in and hope that helps with the surface coverage.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hope this helps explain these items for filters

Attachments

• tanks and bulk head adapters 001.JPG
    tanks and bulk head adapters 001.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 240
  • tanks and bulk head adapters 002.JPG
    tanks and bulk head adapters 002.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 243
  • tanks and bulk head adapters 003.JPG
    tanks and bulk head adapters 003.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 192
  • tanks and bulk head adapters 004.JPG
    tanks and bulk head adapters 004.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 245

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My pond is in sun all day and that is why I had to build the hoop house to help cool down the water plus it is only a couple of feet from my septic tank and that heats up the ground .Great for winter but not summer .Guessing since you say yours is between the driveway and sidewalk you end up with some what the same situation .I try to keep mine simple .I over aerate with the laguna air pump 12 outlets and paid I think under 140 dollars and it came with 2 air stones but sure wish I had bought the bigger one. I use 2 --- 1 1/2 inch bulk head fittings and my filter tank is 60 gallon one .you can get them at tractor supply but more expensive and tank prices you see .I got bulkheads at aqua-aqua online

Ask a Question