I'm a newbie with pond questions

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Chrissy, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Chrissy

Mmathis TurtleMommy

What are your long-term plans for your pond? Did I read about a possible expansion in the future [sorry, but I get everyone's threads confused]?

So, first I would get the new pump. No specific recommendations there, but you normally want to recirculate your water a minimum of 1-1/2 times an hour, probably more so with koi. With your size pond and your current fish-load, I personally think you are either over-stocked or at the very least, you are at your upper limit. And your fish will grow, so figure on having the pump capacity to over-filter as the bio-load increases. One thing to look for in a pump is its energy consumption -- not all pumps are created equal. I would look for one that has versatility as far as what connections you can use with it [my Home Depot pump is energy efficient, but the way it's made, I can't attach a pre-filter which is something I desire]. And some require the use of brand-specific fittings.

You might be on the right track as far as filters go. Most of us on here have some sort of a DIY filter. YouTube is a good reference, and there are some threads on GPF that might be helpful. And just in general, Google and search until you find what looks like it will work for you. No 2 ponds are alike, so a filter that 1 or 50 people like, might not be what works for you. You said your idea is based on a YouTube video -- just out of curiousity, can you post a link to that video so we can see what you have in mind?

You sound like you know a little about ponds and fish care already, which is another good start. So you probably already know that you'll need good mechanical filtration since koi are not very clean fish. And you'll need very good bio-filtration. The secrets to good bio-filtration are having as much surface area as possible for the "good bacteria" to colonize, and having good, consistent, and even water flow over and around the bio-media. Again, there are a gazillion ways/methods/media....... Look for what will work for you and your budget.

And I'm about talked out. Hopefully you'll get more input from other members.

Mmathis, Sep 20, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. Chrissy

MitchM

Less fish = less work.
    I would reduce your koi population to 2 koi.
    Trying to max out your fish population to what your filtration can handle can lead to frustration, certainly.

MitchM, Sep 20, 2015
    Chrissy and Mmathis like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Chrissy

Chrissy

I'm sure it will be less frustrating when I figure out this pump and filtration issue. It's just something I've been fighting with since I built the pond. I've come across many diy ideas and have tried to implement them. But at this point I just need some recommendations on a good pump and filtration system that will accommodate my sized pond. I love the pond! I just need to solve this issue.

Chrissy, Sep 20, 2015
    Mmathis likes this.
  4. Chrissy

Chrissy

I'm not looking to do an expansion on this pond. It is situated between 2 sidewalks and my driveway, so no room for expansion! When I get this one all figured out, I would like to build another in my side yard. I live on a large farm and absolutely love my pond. So tranquil. I will look for the youtube video and post it. Thank you for you pump input! I will start looking tonight. Something I have been wondering about tho is if the submerged pump or above water pump works best. I'm just so unsure on the pumping method! (n)

Chrissy, Sep 20, 2015
    peter hillman and Mmathis like this.
  5. Chrissy

sissy sissy

She has enough water volume to support the fish and once she gets a good pump and maybe builds a better filter she should be fine .I always look at energy use and then head height of a pump .My hoses are all sump pump hoses and all run inside the pond so leaks are not a problem with them .Both filters are inside pond liner that runs right back into the pond .Over feeding fish never helps water quality .I helped several people here that had water issues and helped them build filters and then stopped them from from the over feeding helped .There is plenty to eat in a pond .Let them clean there own house .All I do is net the bottom of fish poo .I read years ago about over aerating a pond helps with water quality and have to say it has worked for me .

sissy, Sep 20, 2015
  6. Chrissy

Chrissy

Oh mitch!! You just broke my heart. I love each one of these fish and don't want to part with them. I've watched the 6 grow freon tiny little things. They're like pets. But I limit myself to what I have now. Although I've been on the search to replace a beautiful solid black koi that the heron ate in the summer.

Chrissy, Sep 20, 2015
    peter hillman and MitchM like this.
  7. Chrissy

MitchM

Figuring out a pump and filtration issue is not a simple matter, Chrissy.
    The quickest route to your happiness with your pond is reducing the amount of work that your filtration has to do.
    Reduce the number of fish you have and the level of intervention that you have to do will be reduced.
    There is a biological fiter that your pond has, but it has it's limitations.
    If you want to intervene beyond that, that's ok, but it will require education and patience.

MitchM, Sep 20, 2015
    Chrissy likes this.
  8. Chrissy

Chrissy

Sissy, I have had algae problems all summer. I have assumed it was because I get so much direct sunlight and don't have adequate surface coverage from plants. I tried the floating hyacinth but the koi ate all of the roots. I have a great lily in there now that seems to be doing well. It's too late now to buy more for the season and I'm not sure where to get them. This one was given to me. But next year I think I will put 3 more in and hope that helps with the surface coverage.

Chrissy, Sep 20, 2015
  9. Chrissy

sissy sissy

I hope this helps explain these items for filters

Attached Files:

sissy, Sep 20, 2015
    Chrissy likes this.
  10. Chrissy

sissy sissy

My pond is in sun all day and that is why I had to build the hoop house to help cool down the water plus it is only a couple of feet from my septic tank and that heats up the ground .Great for winter but not summer .Guessing since you say yours is between the driveway and sidewalk you end up with some what the same situation .I try to keep mine simple .I over aerate with the laguna air pump 12 outlets and paid I think under 140 dollars and it came with 2 air stones but sure wish I had bought the bigger one. I use 2 --- 1 1/2 inch bulk head fittings and my filter tank is 60 gallon one .you can get them at tractor supply but more expensive and tank prices you see .I got bulkheads at aqua-aqua online

sissy, Sep 20, 2015
    Chrissy likes this.
  11. Chrissy

MitchM

I know how you feel, but don't replace that koi.

MitchM, Sep 20, 2015
    Chrissy likes this.
  12. Chrissy

Mmathis TurtleMommy

All good comments and valid points. And I forgot about head height [thanks @sissy]. I thought about, but didn't mention "reducing" your current fish load, as it sounded like you were attached, but that is something you might have to consider at a future date. Ten koi is a lot of fish for 2500 gallons.

The solution -- build that 2nd pond and move some fish there! Yes!

Also, many koi keepers will make "floating plant rings" to put their water lettuce/hyacinth in. They keep the koi from getting at the roots. There is a thread and I think it's a "sticky" in the DIY [?] section for making these. Very easy, and lots of variations to be found.

I'm going to suggest that you start a new, separate thread addressing the submerged vs external pump question. I know we have members using each kind. If we keep talking about more specific pump issues in this thread, the only people who are going to read it are the people who are already following. A new thread might bring in the people who can answer and help you.

Mmathis, Sep 20, 2015
    Chrissy likes this.
  13. Chrissy

sissy sissy

oops allied aqua they have lots of types of stuff there

sissy, Sep 20, 2015
  14. Chrissy

MitchM

Sissy, do you ever record your pond water temperatures?

MitchM, Sep 20, 2015
  15. Chrissy

Mmathis TurtleMommy

@Chrissy You need to be testing your water.

Mmathis, Sep 20, 2015
    Chrissy, sissy and MitchM like this.
  16. Chrissy

sissy sissy

yep all the time .I have a wireless one and in pond ones that I pull and look at 2 are weighted to the bottom of the pond and 2 float close to the edges .That is the main reason for the hoop house .I had the water line left from well driller that has been laying around and all I had to buy was the pipe brackets and the shade fabric I got a couple of years ago from sams club end of year sale .The banana plants do help a lot now but the afternoon sun right over the pond is the worst .I love the heat from the septic tank in the winter

Attached Files:

sissy, Sep 20, 2015
  17. Chrissy

cas

Hi Chrissy.

You have an awesome pond. I think once you have adequate water circulation and an established bio filter your pond will be less frustrating.

I really like Laguna pumps. I have a 4200 GPH pump for my 1,000 gallon pond. As Sissy mentioned, I also added 2 air stones this year and found that it prevented the suspended algae from taking over my pond which is in full sun. Adding plants will also help control the algae. Marginal plants that I like and that are easy to grow are yellow flag iris and blue flag iris. Be aware though - You have to keep on top of the yellow flag iris or it can take over your pond. :)

cas, Sep 20, 2015
    Chrissy and Mmathis like this.
  18. Chrissy

Chrissy

Thank you to everyone for all of your suggestions and ideas! I am very happy I found this group. Someone to bounce ideas and questions off of! I've been trying to do everything myself and constantly reading and watching videos for problem solving ideas and new techniques. I will do some research tonight on which pump will work best for my needs and be making that purchase this week. I hoping to have everything ready for instalation next weekend and I can't wait to see how it works out.

Chrissy, Sep 20, 2015
    Mmathis, sissy and MitchM like this.
  19. Chrissy

MitchM

What are your maximum and minimum water temperatures?

MitchM, Sep 20, 2015
  20. Chrissy

MitchM

We're all here to share our pond experiences and knowledge.
    There's a great group of people here from varying environments.
    I enjoy learning from other ponders too.(y)

MitchM, Sep 20, 2015
    Chrissy likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question