Fish laying on side : Please help i'm a newbie

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to my pond, purchased a home where the pond had been in place for 8 years, a few initial problems due to depth (2 feet), such as cranes, and local creatures eating them, but after I got this under control, I had 6 remaining. Everything is great for another 8 months and I decide to purchase 4 more Koi's recently from a dealer who scrapes twice before she sells, and has positive reviews. One week later, most of my original Koi's are now laying on thier side, they are sick. This started this morning, and I've been researching all day, reading different forums etc. and most say salt could assist, maybe the new Koi's introduced a bacteria or such. My main question, though many, can I add the salt in the right manner to my pond immediately without draining just to get my original fish not to die? I will then drain in a few days when I can set time aside from work. I understand the amount, and type of salt to add based upon my diminsions, but I do not have time to drain for at least 4 days. Any recommendations, please....

Reaction score
A fish laying on its side is never a good thing i don't know much about ponds but i imagine things didn't go so well(since its been 3 days). May i ask how big of a pond do you have because if you add to many fish to a smaller pond it could create an ammonia spike which would be toxic to fish especially fish that are accustom to stable conditions. That or a lack of oxygen my dad had this problem when he brought his fish inside for winter he had to get a couple of power heads to create the proper oxygen levels in the water.

Reaction score
It is probably too late to help you - I hope not. The problem probably did start with the new fish. Quarantining is a must, I learned the hard way too. First, you do not have to drain your pond to add salt. You should bring the salt level up to .3 for the week. Just calculate the amount needed and dissolve in water, then add the salt water to the pond perimeter. Check the salt level with a digital meter in one hour, add more salt if needed.

Water changes are recommended too – but do not drain the entire pond in one shot. Do several 10-20% water changes daily. You will have to add salt after each water change.

Ask a Question