Im devastated

Reaction score
Country
United States
Honestly, I am not sure if you are funning with us. Did you really move them indoors into a pool of some kind? If so, how many gallons is the pool? How many gallons is your pond? Is your pond closed (empty) for the season?
Yeah I close it for the season

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No one is trying to make you feel like an idiot, but to be honest your post was rather hard to decipher what was going on.

I wish I had a dollar for every time we've heard "I do this every year (whatever that might be) and have never had an issue". In your mind, everything is the same, but in reality the one factor that is constantly changing is the size of your fish. And fish can jump out of a body of water that's 30 feet deep - they jump from the surface, not the depths.

You have to decide if you want to keep bringing your fish inside or leave them out all winter. Either can be done - you need to decide the route you want to take. But I can tell you this - a winter pond requires no fooling with pH or water changes. You can pretty much winterize and leave it alone. Many of us do it in temps that are just like yours.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No one is trying to make you feel like an idiot, but to be honest your post was rather hard to decipher what was going on.

I wish I had a dollar for every time we've heard "I do this every year (whatever that might be) and have never had an issue". In your mind, everything is the same, but in reality the one factor that is constantly changing is the size of your fish. And fish can jump out of a body of water that's 30 feet deep - they jump from the surface, not the depths.

You have to decide if you want to keep bringing your fish inside or leave them out all winter. Either can be done - you need to decide the route you want to take. But I can tell you this - a winter pond requires no fooling with pH or water changes. You can pretty much winterize and leave it alone. Many of us do it in temps that are just like yours.
Thank you for your post. I haven’t stopped crying for the last 2 days I want what is best! No one knows how much I love those fish!! They almost set me home from work!!! Do you think, I should set up my pond again and get the stuff I need for the winter or just leave them alone how they are for now?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you for your post. I haven’t stopped crying for the last 2 days I want what is best! No one knows how much I love those fish!! They almost set me home from work!!! Do you think, I should set up my pond again and get the stuff I need for the winter or just leave them alone how they are for now?
I'd leave them be and just monitor your water conditions, make sure your filtration is working well. It's a bit late to establish anything now and there'll be more stress if you re-set everything. You can put a net over your pool and that should keep this from happening again. Accidents happen, no matter how careful we are. Sorry you lost your fish; I know how easy it is to get attached to our animal-friends.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
My two cents… I’ve done what you did when I moved houses and when I deep cleaned my old pond.

For the winter leave them in the pond and pond breather. In fact get two in case one malfunctions.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Sorry to report but the pond breathers are discontinued! There are still a few to be found but usually $$$. If you can get one, highly recommend it. I as well as several other members here use them every winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with brokensword. I wouldn't move them again, putting more stress on them.

I know several.people who bring their fish indoors every year and have no problems with doing so. They do put a net over the pool, and they have good filtration for them. They are able to enjoy their fish all winter long.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If you can’t find a breather get a decent deicer. I personally use a trough heater now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m going to leave them where they are for this year. But next year I’m going to try to keep them in there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7-A
So for the last tree years that I have had my koi, I bring them inside for the winter. 1st year they went in my 60 gallon aquarium, last year I bought a 650 gallon pool. And this year I bought another pool ( the same one) cause I wanted to make sure there wasn’t going to be any holes in it from the storage. The largest one is about 1 1/2 ft and I have 3 koi and 1 gold. I live in buffalo New York. Our winters get cold 0-40 Some nights in the negatives. My pond is about 3 ft deep and about 1300 gallons. Next summer going to make it bigger and deeper!!! Well, I think they just moved around and or just gotten so much bigger from last year ( they still have plenty of room). That they disconnected my filtration system. Which I think was making some kind of noise under water. Which made my koi freak out. And two of them jumped out and died! I’m literally devastated. I’ve cried all day. I my friend came over and took care of it for me cause I couldn’t. I was so distraught. I called the pond guys about seeing how to put my remaining koi and goldfish back in the pond for the winter. They recommended a thermo de icer. I told them I didn’t really want that cause they’re extremely expensive to run. He said this one will only kick on when it’s under 35 degrees. I said okay, so that’s everyday. But he did say a 100watt soups work fine. And he said about a aeragation system. Please I need help. I don’t know what to do! What does everyone use outside to keep their pond from freezing? Should I re do my pond now for the winter. Idk.
So sorry to hear about your loss. I have 8 large koi in a 3000 gal pond and they are my buddies. They get fed in the morning before I do. I live in Maryland and our winters get pretty cold also. I have used this set up for 10 years and it works very well in the winter for me. The clear reinforced poly sheathing is installed over a PVC or wooden frame . The sun heats up the plastic in the winter and it creates a hot house effect inside which in turn keeps the water warm. In 20 degree temps my pond water is not frozen at all. Only two times i used the heater to keep a hole in the ice which was maybe 1/4". Good luck with your larger pond next year and hopefully try this method and it will definitely work for you. I also use 2 aerators and keep my pump off.

Attachments

• DSCN0002.JPG
    DSCN0002.JPG
    94.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN0006.JPG
    DSCN0006.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 21

Ask a Question