Impatiens - Is there a specific type?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wanted to get a little more color in the area, so I got an Impatien and planted it in the bog. I just got the first one I saw - Is there a specific version to use, did I just kill an Impatien because of my Impatience?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I bet it will do great! I personally get the Sunpatiens because my pond gets some major hot, southern sun. But I know other people who use the regular ones. Since the roots are directly in the water, they do fine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I bet it will do great! I personally get the Sunpatiens because my pond gets some major hot, southern sun. But I know other people who use the regular ones. Since the roots are directly in the water, they do fine.

Ill have to look into sunpatients...never heard of em. I used the regular ones at my old pond that was in partial shade for most of the day and they took over. But in my current pond....that’s in full sun all day they don’t have a chance...even with roots directly in the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@seandelevan have you actually tried it? My pond is in full sun all day too and they grow great.

@Crimedog the Sunpatiens are pretty too but I find they have more leaves and less flowers. The remind me of the New Guinea impatiens, if you're familiar with those.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
@seandelevan have you actually tried it? My pond is in full sun all day too and they grow great.

@Crimedog the Sunpatiens are pretty too but I find they have more leaves and less flowers. The remind me of the New Guinea impatiens, if you're familiar with those.

yes. they were dead in a week. Full sun in VA, in August, from 9am to sunset, fried them. Sweet potato vine works amazing though with its roots tucked between rocks near the waterfall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Did you plant them in August? Or they lived until August and then died?

oh good question. This was 5-6 years ago. But yeah, I probably planted them in August because I don’t remember them even having a chance......might be taking a trip to Lowe’s today......

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yeah... I wouldn't recommend planting impatiens in August under ANY circumstances. They need a few months of reasonable weather to get going. Once they have an established root system the heat, sun, whatever won't bother them a bit.

Here's my waterfall - that's three tiny impatiens plugs in May, three giant impatiens shrubs in September. The one on the right is just one plant. Full sun, survived the August heat and loving life in September. They never lost a beat.

Impatiens actually love the heat and hot sun. The challenge is keeping them watered when it's hot and sunny. The pond takes care of that for me!

IMG_2332.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You need to show your pond off more @Lisak1 it's a mature work of art and your more into the flowers. I tried to obtain color through leaves, stems, type and size.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
oh, I heartily second what GB said; beautiful pic and beautiful pond, Lisa!

Ask a Question