Need a very specific plant suggestion

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi ponders. I need to fill a spot in my stream that is kind of a dead area and I thought a plant would be the nicest option. There are some caveats though. It needs to be between 12" and 20" tall, not a wander (stays compact), and shade to partial shade (gets about 3 hours of morning sun). Bonuses things I'm looking for is something that likes having it's crown submerged, prefer hardy and not an acidic/soft water lover ( pH is 8.2, GH and KH are 6ish). I am considering something like impatiens too. I've done them in a QT pond that was close to this location and they did amazing. Looking forward to your suggestions! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
(really should have made a list of plants that I've tried and failed with but it is so long lol) Thank you for your suggestion. Any arrow shaped plants don't work for me though. I've tried pickerel rush, arrow arum, arrowhead, variegated of arum and head, crushed ice arrowhead, taro (many varieties) etc. all have died. Off the top of my head other plants I've tried and failed with are canna, dwarf bamboo, queen something iris, bog bean, 4 leaf clover, pennywort, hyacinth, water lettuce and dwarf variegated sweet flag, But there are various reasons why they may not have survived (poor quality to start with, planted too late etc) because I have re-tried after failing with lizard tail and society garlic and they are doing well this year. So I haven't given up hope on all of those listed but arrow shaped/type plants seem to continue to be a no go. BTW I do keep almost 30 other species alive for years now, don't think I am a complete plant killer lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
.... *crickets* Yeah that's what I was coming up with too lol I think I just throw some impatiens in there for now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... I love the impatiens idea. They are so pretty and add so much color! But for a hardy plant, have you considered a hosta? Mine love growing in the rain exchange, crown completely submerged most of the time, they spread, but slowly, and are easy to divide when he time comes. Lots of different varieties, some more compact or shorter than others.

It is curious that you can't get anything to grow - just in that one spot??

Ask a Question