addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It does not look like the pump had a prefilter, take the cage off, that slotted thing, see if the impeller is just dirty or has plant material stopping the movement. The impeller is a hard pull to get out.
Mine has stopped when it has gotten dirty, clean and it starts right up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Addy beat me to it but those pumps are very easy to service and maintain. Pull the cage, there might or might not be a coarse pre-filter fitted around the intake tube. Normally with those pumps, the intake locks into place clockwise. If so, releasing it will get you to the mag impeller. Sometimes a little stubborn to pull out. Clean all surfaces and parts throughout. The magnet well (where the base of the impeller goes) tends to be the usual suspect when these pumps stop. They get full of pond crud and the mag ceases to spin. Put it all back together (edit: when fitting the intake back on, make sure the shaft is lined up and you‘re not forcing the intake back on. Take your time) and it is safe to dry bump it for a few seconds to see if it works. If it does not, then there is an open short in the motor windings. That’s a dead pump. A new mag drive pump won’t set you back too bad and now you know how to service one. Sorry for your loss and you’ve received a beautiful gift.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
sorry for the late reply, guys. I took apart the pumps (found out there was two pumps, one for a water feature that I hadn't noticed) as suggested and they were indeed just blocked, but of cleaning and they were as good as new.

Once the water was flowing it was easy enough to figure out how the whole thing worked. He had one big pump that fed into a uv lamp filter, which then split into two Fish Mate Powerclenz pressurised filters, one of which feeds back into the pond directly and another that goes up to the top of the waterfall. The filters didn't take much cleaning surprisingly and were running clear within a couple of minutes.

It didn't take long for me to spot a few of the fish once things were going, maybe the movement in the water made them more active? Seems theres a few new additions to the pond too, a little maroon one, and what looks like two little koi.

The water isn't completely clear yet, its quite a big pond so I assume it'll take a few days.

Big thank you to everyone for the advice, I'm very happy now everything's running nicely, and I'm sure my dad would be glad too!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah! So happy we could help you!

Great it is working good now!

Ask a Question