inheriting a pond

Reaction score
This fall I'm moving into a house that has a pond. Its my fiance's aunt and uncles house and they built a pond a good time ago. The last few years it has been neglected pretty bad BUT there are still fish swimming around and breeding.

We think they are koi fish, not sure about types or if there are any different types. I would like to make the pond a little nicer and care for the fish.

I have no experience with fish besides taking care of a betta kinda lol.

Any information or advice will be appreciated. Oh and heres a pic of the fish. Im going to take better pictures in the morning

IMG_20120131_174126.jpg

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Welcome aboard, Doesn't look to bad from the pic. Are there leaves and trash in the bottom? Filter? Size? Looking at what I can see I think the fish are probably Comets. No way to tell for sure with that pic but judging by size and the clors I think comets, Which if it's a small pond is great! That's probably one of the best fish for that size pond. Koi get really large and require a really good filtration system. comets are far more forgiving and as you can tell will breed in less than ideal conditions.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome corey and hope we can help you get the pond looking nice ,the fish will sure love you for that .Your in a cold state so amazed they have made it through the winters unless it is deep enough .I have a friend who lives in Flatrock Michigan And he put a pond in and ended up taking the fish in and the next year he redug the pond to 6 feet deep and got a pond heater .Can't really see the fish to well .

Reaction score
Yea at the time couldn't get a great pic. The fish are about 5-7" for the biggest in the pond. There are 3 or 4 bigger ones and about 5 babies.

There is a filtration system not entirely sure about the details at the moment. The pond is pretty deep. Pulled a feeder plant from the bottom (didn't know what it was) and it was a good 5 feet down.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess they at least knew about the cold winters and made it deep enough ,down here we don't worry so much about the winters as we do the hot summers .If that was a healthy plant and you kept it divide it up in a bucket of water pond plants are not cheap and healthy ones are great to have .

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
BabyDragon2.gif
corey0928

Do your fish have whiskers by their mouths? If not then they are prolly goldfish. That's good that it's nice and deep so the fish can go down under to the cooler water in the hot summer months in Michigan!

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.. Maybe you are close to koiguy he lives in Michigan somewhere. He also breeds his own koi....

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
WELCOME TO THE GROUP....FROM ANOTHER MICHIGANDER....MARK
I'M FROM THE MACOMB AREA. WHERE ABOUTS ARE YA?... 3' DEEP IS SUFFICIENT FOR MOST OF MICHIGAN. MY FISH WOULD WINTER IN THE BASEMENT POND REGARDLESS OF DEPTH.

Reaction score
Koiguy the house with the pond is in roseville so not that far from you.

And i found out some more information. Apparantly there were koi and goldfish at one point and they must have mated. And now its a hybrid of the two. Not sure if thats possible but thats what I was told.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
and goldies can mate.the offspring are mules (sterile)...so if thats the only fish youve got in the pond, you'll never have to worry about over population. how do the fish look? good, colorfull or drab? 21 mile &Garfield is my locale. where in Roachville are you?

Reaction score
They have a good color. They are a bright orange besides the one that looks albino and his tail is orange.

And Im at 12 and Utica so not too far lol

Ask a Question