Intake bay and pebble "beach" as a skimmer for larger debris

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The Pond Advisor
I'll be blunt he builds small projects but i have not seen anything that i said wow that's amazing. There's other pros out there that have some builds that would amaze even a concrete jungle lover

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'll be blunt he builds small projects but i have not seen anything that i said wow that's amazing. There's other pros out there that have some builds that would amaze even a concrete jungle lover
Yes, for sure. I liked his small scale builds in particular because they are helpful when the budget and the space are both teeny! He also has a couple of videos showing how to do a small intake bay vs. a skimmer on a really small pond -- at the time, I hadn't found much else out there explaining how to do them. There is more information out there now. (Or I have gotten better at finding it.) I really enjoy watching all of them. It seems I learn something different from everyone! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
What size rock and gravel are you using in the intake bay? I've got larger size and I'm thinking I need to go with a smaller layer on top so too much debris isn't getting pulled down. @Lisak1 I know you said don't use pea gravel so what size did you end up going with as your top layer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I may be wrong on this (intake bay folks, correct me if so) but I think part of the appeal of an intake bay is that it spreads out the suction to a degree that it doesn't do a super-suck and pull down little fish, tadpoles, etc. It does draw in leaves and floating debris into the Bay Area but the flow is a bit gentler. I think for this reason, if you keep up with netting the leaves out, etc., you won't have too much of an issue with the debris really getting pulled down into the rocks. Sure, it will sink down there eventually. But I don't think it is anything crazy. Would y'all agree?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I do tend to agree with that @bagsmom . Remember @milonedp - I don't have an intake bay. Mine is a negative edge, so everything gets caught up in the rocks. The pea gravel got clogged way too fast for us, so we switched to the larger rock and have been so much happier with the results.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We used what they call "river rock". I'd equate it to the size of a golf ball.
River rock is a very generic term some areas it is a mix 3/8" to 4" mainly flat rocks while the true term river rock is that it is just naturally rounded by a stream or other fast flowing water. It can be a ball or it can be a plate but always with very smoot round edges. you can order 8" river rock but don't expect to go to any store and just pick it up. while 3/8" through probably 4" you can get readily available

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b / 8a
Country
United States
I may be wrong on this (intake bay folks, correct me if so) but I think part of the appeal of an intake bay is that it spreads out the suction to a degree that it doesn't do a super-suck and pull down little fish, tadpoles, etc. It does draw in leaves and floating debris into the Bay Area but the flow is a bit gentler. I think for this reason, if you keep up with netting the leaves out, etc., you won't have too much of an issue with the debris really getting pulled down into the rocks. Sure, it will sink down there eventually. But I don't think it is anything crazy. Would y'all agree?

I wouldn't say it's powerful but I have seen some leaves in the pump strainer, my guess is they were mixed in with the rock when they were being laid, but the rock is still really big, more like softball and slightly larger so I thought a smaller size would help keep the debris on the top as opposed to wedged into the rock, I'll leave it for a bit and see what happens as things start to settle..

Ask a Question