Selling house, need to fill in pond, rehome fish: anyone in the Bay Area want fish?

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is the saddest part of selling my house to me, and have not quite gotten this point yet, but know it is coming.
My pond is an old swimming pool, prob 22x14 approx, and about 6 feet deep. Lots of comets, one large koi, even a
red-eared slider.

I spend many relaxing hours in the summer there, floating around in my little rubber raft. I love my fish, but
given that the pond takes up most of the back yard, to sell this house I'll need to empty it. UNLESS SOMEONE
BUYS IT WHO LIKE A FISH POND but this is a neighborhood with lots of kids, schools, so likely it'll be a family
who want a back yard.

There is a local guy who owns a pet store who set me up years ago with my filter and waterfall-he said he can
rehome my fish, and another lady interested.

I'm posting here for a few reasons; one, to see if anyone lives around here who is interested in some fish, and two,
for emotional support! I know I won't want to be here when the pond is emptied and the fish are taken out. I'm not
a woos but def don't want to see this. I'm committed to finding homes for every single one of them.

Any feedback, experience, offers, (PS don't want any $ for the fish, just good homes) support welcome! Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
You're fortunate you have a couple interested folks, finding homes can sometimes be difficult. Where are you located and when are you selling your home?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you haven't already, perhaps speak with your realtor about the pond/pool, (I'm assuming by the size that it is an in-ground pool?)... If it is attractive as a pond, or easily converted back into a swimming pool, then maybe it will be an attractive selling point to potential buyers. Check the local building codes as well, as there may be "rules" as to how an old pool is removed.

I had friends once who did a demo on their pool, simply because they were tired of the upkeep. It was not a cheap endeavor... It involved heavy equipment to break apart and remove the concrete, multiple loads of fill dirt packed down properly, then topped with good soil and sod.

Good luck.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It hurts.
I had to shut down my pond in AZ when I moved to MD, a 14000 gallon pond does not go well with renters. Luckily found homes for the fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I had friends once who did a demo on their pool, simply because they were tired of the upkeep. It was not a cheap endeavor... It involved heavy equipment to break apart and remove the concrete, multiple loads of fill dirt packed down properly, then topped with good soil and sod.

We're removing an 16 x 32 above ground pool with 770 sq. feet of decking next week. I can confirm it's not inexpensive :oops:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, realtor is saying no one in these parts wants a fish pond...so sad. I know there is "a way" this needs
to be done. Heck if it is beyond my budget I'll just stay...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would go ahead and try to sell with the pond, with the offer to "make it go away" if you get the right price. You might be surprised. And really - you've got nothing to lose. Or alternatively, sell as is and let the new buyer fill it in. Realtors these days typically want you to do what's easiest for them - they aren't interested in making the sale easy for you. Several of my kids have sold houses in the past few years and honestly - they basically had to pack all their stuff up and get it out of the way just so the realtor could show a "turn key" house to prospective buyers. They had to keep the house sparkling 24/7 like no one lived in it. When we looked for houses 30 years ago, we saw all KINDS of things that could have been a turn off - one guy had a dozen bird cages full of parrots - but you used your imagination and realized THEIR stuff wouldn't be YOUR stuff. Not anymore.

Long way of saying - list it and see what happens. If you get lots of resistance to the pond, take the next step.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
@Lisak1 , so true !! It's borderline ridiculous the lengths buyers are asked to go these days! I just shake my head when watching House Hunters, these young couples look at something slightly dated and say " This is a total gut job !"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Lisak1 , so true !! It's borderline ridiculous the lengths buyers are asked to go these days! I just shake my head when watching House Hunters, these young couples look at something slightly dated and say " This is a total gut job !"

I was shocked when my son and DIL asked us to come help them get ready to put their house up for sale - we packed everything but the bare essentials, moved out "excess" furniture, completely repainted and re-carpeted, we took their dog home with us... and the first "looky-loo" who came through complained about all the boxes in the garage! Crazy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh Lisak1, you nailed it! I would just love to see someone walk onto one of those shows after a renovation and say, "Like this kitchen is ugly! Why don't you update it?"
I can't believe the renovation "budgets" the people on those shows have... Wowza!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am currently hoping a team of realtor/designer/contractor will buy this house 'as is.' I feel very protective of my fish and turtle and though leaving them here would be easy on one hand, I'd worry that they might not be cared for or re-homed responsibly like I would, so you can see the dilemma.

Anyone in the Bay Area with a pond who wants fish, get in touch!

Ask a Question