Introduction

Reaction score
[sub]Sissy I'm talking about sand to put on stone bottem, but they say is the best to put nothing because is easier to clean,my pond is all build of cement and after that I set the volcanic rock at the bottom and all around,it looks great but I thought this because of the cement pond is colder than the pond witch is made without cement only dig hole and put pond linar, so I think to put sand or something else to be warmer.Can you advise me more fish, I said that the pond 50 cm deep, which could take what we advise, as far as all the plants I learned about pripremio.malo me to write the English tend to go so sorry for that.[/sub]

Reaction score
Sand certainly won't effect water temperature. There would also be no temperature difference between cement or liner or none. A dark surface can make water warmer but most ponds have a dark bottom regardless of building material because of algae and muck.

Are you on the coast? In the mountains? How cold does it get?

If you want to add sand there's no advantage I can think of but there's nothing wrong with sand either if that's what you'd like. You might want to wash the sand first. Depending on the source it can make the water muddy, at least for a few days.

50 cm (20") isn't very deep and 700 liters (184 gals) isn't a lot of water. So Koi would not be a good choice. A few Goldfish would work depending on how extreme your temperatures. There's lots of minnow type fish that might work depending on temperture. Many kinds of catfish would work. What kinds of fish were you considering?

Reaction score
Yes, they told me that koi fish can not in such a shallow pond, then what do you say I take a gold fish, the temperature is low where I live because the town along the coast, I also made ​​a wooden cover over the winter so that the open pond just below the bridge, you have a picture to view my gallery, in case you are some extreme conditions.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As long as the water does not freeze your gold fish would do fine. Only put a in a few fish. Here in the winter, my pond water temperature gets into the 30 F temperatures. 0-3 C on the surface, not sure what the temperature is deep. The goldfish, shubunkins are doing fine.

Reaction score
I've already tested whether the freeze last winter because I just poured the water and watched whether frozen and I measured the temperature and it was all ok, but like I said what I have and covers for him in case of some extreme conditions,

Reaction score
Words like "freeze" is relative. There's a big difference between a few days of -5C and weeks of -20C. If you don't say what your temperature range is I can't really offer any suggestions for fish. Sorry.

Reaction score
We did not understand well, I understand what you mean to say, during the winter with us in the average temperature is between five and ten degrees, sometimes it happens to be two days in winter temperatures below five degrees, for example today is twelve degrees.

Reaction score
That's no problem. Might get a little ice, but that's no problem for cold water fish. You have to stay away from tropical fish unless you move them inside for the winter. Goldfish would be fine.

Reaction score
thanks for the advice, I wanted to ask you something, I got an external filter with a UV lamp wiltec (10000L / h, 11W UV lamp....), I want to take a submersible pump with a flow of 4000L / h, a friend said to me that the pump of 2000L / h is quite good not bigger.so what you think?

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
I too used the dirt from the dig to form my waterfall. To support the large flat stone I placed cement blocks down. Hope I did the photos right.

CopyofLookingNorthwithcarpet.jpg

Waterfallwithrock.jpg
falls.jpg

Waterfall.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just looks so nice kougs, turned out perfect! I think I've taken mine apart and rebuilt it so many times that the fish think I'm nuts. "Oh no here she comes again.............oh well we get to pick at the tiny hairs on her legs again, yippee!"

Ask a Question