Introduction

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you who have welcomed me and given advice and photos!! Sorry it took so long to reply. I feel like a putz because I have never joined any type of forum before and frankly I'm a little lost because I don't know how to navigate in here. I'm sure I will figure it out though, please bear with me.
I got my pond kit today and will begin building my waterfall this weekend. I have a few friends with ponds to give me a hand (or advice) plus I have been watcing a lot of videos so I am confident of the outcome. I'm sort of a workaholic and try to stay busy all the time so my posts may not come on a regular basis, but I will be updating progress when I can.
BTW kougs, I love the bear with the salmon in his paws (I hope they are not your koi)...where can I get one? NIce pix as well...very helpful. I gotta get more rocks!
Anyway, all of your pond photos are great and I hope mine turns out half as nice as what I have seen here.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I got a really nice iguana statue and a parrot in a ring from there. Got a floating gator too but had many problems w/ it. I take mine in during the winter cuz the wind would knock the parrot around like crazy swinging from my porch roof. Just wouldn't order maybe something that has to float in the water like the gators as mine had little holes and sank. Sent me a new one and it's head sat totally lopsided in the water so they ended up just refunding me on it. Was finally able to patch the gator w/ glue gun and super glue after a million tries. He is still floating. The 2nd one sits on the floor in my computer room. Don't know how to fix a lopsided floating head. They didn't want them back and said to toss them if I wanted.

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2094.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome! This is how I did mine..it's sort of a makeshift bog as I lined the blocks with plastic to keep the moisture in. Here's some pics for ideas.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Very nice, Rebel! Love your ideas. I will be making a new waterfall and would love to have a stream, but it will be hard to do since my property is FLAT! Building new pond for the goldies, let the koi keep the original pond to themselves, but this will all have to wait until spring. But, loving seeing ideas on here all winter long!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Country find some dirt and bring it in .I did that with my cart and used concrete block to make the area more stable and help make the waterfall.I filled the concrete block up with dirt and used rebar I pounded down inside the block to hold it in place .Easier than using concrete and if I want to make it bigger it is easy to do

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
[sup]Actually I did use block to layer up my wier (spelling weir?) anyhoot and hid it with the pavers. Didn't turn out to bad since my ground is flat too I think. Adding the waterfall actually made my pond look bigger, since it's only 8x6. So far everyone who has seen it in action really liked it (phew) so I'm kinda pleased with it. If "someone" in the household wasn't so darn fired up about pre-formed I would have kept the boys digging! He found out that after I finished it lol, but still pleased with the end result (just yes wish it was a bit bigger) so the illusion of the added space with the bog helps I guess. I don't percieve it as just popping up out of the ground, but someone else might think it looks unnatural.[/sup]

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States

Thank you addy, just wish the sod we put down took hold...but didn't...only about 1/3 of it did so gonna just plant seed this time! I also added rock walk pathes a couple places after this pic was taken...and this year will add some more small gravel between the larger rocks and more mulch in the walk pathes...planning never ends! lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think your pond looks great and I still love retaining wall block .I had to make mine with it as yard slopes down and could not go to much father down or out because septic pipes are close by and there is the gutter pipe that goes under the ground there out to a water storage tank I use to water plants .I think yours came out great though ,I think how you did yours gives it more appeal as from the vantage point you look at it you really don't see the retaining wall block and plus the block makes a nice place to sit for awhile and enjoy it up close

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Your pond is so very nice rebel. I agree the falls,rocks and beautiful plants all around make it look bigger and would never know it was a prefab! Maybe someday if you want it deeper and bigger you can connect it somehow to the pond you have. I've seen photo's of people who do just that and it turns out really neat.

Ask a Question