Is it all in the name: Bog vs Wetland filter vs Eco filter: Marketing?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I find it interesting that not only has “bog filtration” become much, much more popular over the years (y), but the name seems to be morphing. It’s a good thing, and I wonder how much the name changes and marketing have to do with the popularity of this more natural form of filtration.

Just a few years ago, if you mentioned a “bog filter” to a DKP (dedicated koi pond) person, OMG, you might as well cancel your membership with that forum or group :nailbiting:! They would let you know very quickly that there was only 1 way to keep koi — and it wasn’t with a ” bog filter”!:eek:

Now, not only are we seeing them highlighted on YouTube, but the names sound more sophisticated, better describing the actual job they do: ”wetlands filters,” “eco filters,” and they are being encouraged for koi ponds! :eek: Maybe the name “bog” came with a negative connotatio, IDK.... I’m just excited to see more and more folks going natural — the word has finally gotten out there!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah I was told it would never work when I built mine in 2010. My attitude was too bad so sad if you think it will fail, cause I know it won't.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The name bog does probably have something to do with why they come up with different more sellable names for these types of filters. Ask most people what they think of when you say bog it will probably be swamp, which isn’t that appealing. Where as wetland or eco filter sounds a little better when you are trying to sell a customer on it.

One of my jobs is to put in what is basically wetland filters along the shorelines of the Chesapeake Bay and it’s tributaries. These are called living shorelines, used to be called marsh creation but who wants to spend anywhere from tens of thousands to even hundreds of thousands on putting a marsh/swamp along the shoreline. So they changed the name to living shoreline, or wetland creation/restoration. A little more involved than a wetland filter/bog on a pond but does wonders for controlling run off, creating habitat for marine life, and various bird species. If done correctly and being a little creative can also create usable beach/land area for the customer as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
We were on Jekyll Island where one of the most popular tourist destinations is Driftwood Beach. At the museum, it was explained that the driftwood isn't driftwood at all, but rather a bunch of dead trees, killed by encroaching salt water. It used to be called the Dead Tree Area. Unsurprisingly, once the marketing people changed the name, it became much more interesting! I thought that was hilarious!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There can be differences between them a eco filter can be at the bottom of a pool same principles just not plants though i would think you could find some aquatics that would root in there like grasses sagitaria.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The name bog does probably have something to do with why they come up with different more sellable names for these types of filters. Ask most people what they think of when you say bog it will probably be swamp, which isn’t that appealing. Where as wetland or eco filter sounds a little better when you are trying to sell a customer on it.

One of my jobs is to put in what is basically wetland filters along the shorelines of the Chesapeake Bay and it’s tributaries. These are called living shorelines, used to be called marsh creation but who wants to spend anywhere from tens of thousands to even hundreds of thousands on putting a marsh/swamp along the shoreline. So they changed the name to living shoreline, or wetland creation/restoration. A little more involved than a wetland filter/bog on a pond but does wonders for controlling run off, creating habitat for marine life, and various bird species. If done correctly and being a little creative can also create usable beach/land area for the customer as well.
I am about to build one myself. l live along the Chesapeake Bay area also off the Elk River/North East River and I have a lot of run off in my woods, I am also putting in a koi pond.

Ask a Question