Is Microbe-Lift's Algaway 5.4 safe?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm at the end of my rope with these globs of algae float in everywhere in my pond:( I have not tested my water, but do have a drop kit. I also run a uv light. The only changes in my pond from last season are as follows:
1) I removed all gravel from the pond's bottom
2) I thinned my heard from 50 + shubunkin, comets and five koi, to just five koi.

All made it through the winter, are active and eating well:) I'm feeding once per day Blackwater Cool Weather food.
I have filter pads in the front and back of my Savio skimmer and run a pressurized filter.

I run four air stones and a water fall, so plenty of oxygen.

I have 7 pots of lilies ( thanks to Addy) that are slowly starting. I have a floating basket with water hyacinth and have ordered two more baskets.

I've had this bottle for a few years, and must have used some at some point, but the gallon is almost full. I'm considering dosing a little under what it recommends for a 1700 gallon pond.

I've wondered if I'm cleaning my filter mats too much, but they are quickly clogged with algae. Thought?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It is safe as long as the instructions are followed. After some research, it appears the primary component is a microbiocide that, at its chemical concentration in that product, specifically kills all algae species and likely other microorganisms at that level of sensitivity to this chemical. It appears to be the same chemical used in AlgaeFix, except at a higher concentration.

As long as you are confident in the gallon-age of your pond, then I would specifically dose at the recommended dosage. Since you've had the bottle for a few years, then look for an expiration date.

I think you have plenty aeration.

Your filter could be at fault amongst other many unfulfilled variables, which my previous posts have talked about. However, you have to realize that some algae species simply require human intervention.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Oh trust me, it's getting LOTS of human intervention! LOL! I still haven't built up my nerve to use it, will keep on netting the stuff and maybe not clean the filter mats as much. Hopefully plants will get going soon.

I used a water meter when I refilled my pond last fall, so so my exact gallons......1670 :)

Ask a Question