Microbe Lift question ?

Reaction score
I have not used it before just wondering what people think about using it when opening up the pond for spring? I have lots of algea right now.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use it in the fall to help the pond because of the strange weather i get .

Reaction score
We have had a very bad winter here. Our pond had about 7 inches of ice. Its all thawed out now and its starting to get warmer out. But lots of algea right now. Just have a small pump running for now. e have a 110 gallon skippy filter that we need to get started too. This says it has the good bacteria it needs to kick start the process.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use the fall and spring stuff you add it in the fall and then again in the spring and been using it for 10 years now and it is really the only thing I add .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Kitty They started out in sewerage so there isnt alott they dont know about varuious bacteria.
When my local dealer first brought their products to his shop I was one of the fist in the que to buy Microblift as we'd heard so many good things about them .
Am I glad we did ? ...you bet we are , my main product is the microblift PL Filterpad innoculant we cant fault it as to the other products weve used sludge away with the same results , I hope this answers your Question ? :)

Dave:)

Reaction score
Thanks everyone, Guess what I really need to know is what do I do with my skippy filter since it has not been running for the past few months? I just figured I needed to jump start the good bacteria thats why I was asking about Microbe Lift.

Last edited:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks everyone, Guess what I really need to know is what do I do with my skippy filter since it has not been running for the past few months? I just figured I needed to jump start the good bacteria thats why I was asking about Microbe Lift.

You can still use the stuff, that is the bacteria... You may have a different result than I have had with it...

If the skippy filter has been in operation already for a few months, then there should still be enough bacteria residual for the filter to start back up. I would just give the filter a rinse with some pond water to remove the muck, except do not scrub it. If it feels slimy, then this is a good sign since it is slimy due to the bacteria bio-film, that is if soap was not used (do not use soap). Now, if the filter was allowed to sit in a place where it gets really hot, then you might have problems, but, from what I have gathered, it sounds like it has just been sitting in storage for the duration of winter.

If you are really concerned, then you can do a "fishless cycling" inside of only the skippy filter. This is through the use of store bought ammonium hydroxide and pond water, and then use a basic fountain pump to recirculate the water within the skippy filter. I would do this inside an insulated area where the water can warm up a bit since the "good" microorganism growth will be faster in luke warm water. To understand how to do this, then here, post#13 in thread when can i start adding fish thread (talks about the type of ammonium store product to use), explains my testimonial of how I did it in my pond; the process would be the same for you except you would use less of the ammonium product since there are fewer gallons involved when doing with only the skippy container. Once you start registering Nitrates and zero ammonia on the test kit, then you will know the bio-filter is ready. Depending on the water temperature, this can take anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks or a little longer if the water is below 60*F. So, if this is too long of a wait, then just do it until the ammonia registers zero on the test kit, which should only be a week or so, then you will be "mostly" ready.

Attached file below is a column talking about how to do the "fishless cycling"; the column is written by a notable fella in the koi hobby world who really knows his stuff when it comes to chemistry since he is someone who actually has a pHD in chemistry, that is rocket science to be precise.

Attachments

• Microbe-Lift with Roddy Conrad fishless cycle instructions.pdf
    942.8 KB · Views: 316
Reaction score
Our skippy filter has been covered all winter. So sounds like just some rinsing might be ok from what I am reading. TY so much all. :)

Ask a Question