It Has Begun

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Evening everyone.

Just got home from work today and checked the water level. It is marginally higher but I believe that is because we had some rainfall today. I don't think it will get worse other than having some more rain fall. I won't be able to get a liner in until at least this weekend and before I do I will need to shop vac the water that is in the whole out for sure.

Does anyone feel or see any problem with waiting that long to get the liner in? My old pond was dug and had the liner put in right away.

Thanks for the help.

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
Good afternoon all.

The Pond setup has been a long process for me as I am doing it alone and after digging the hole we recieved lot's of rainfall which nearly filled the hole with no liner in it. I have spent the last couple of days empying the pond with buckets as I did not want to use my pump in the muddy gray water.

I am close to putting the liner in and wanted to show you all my setup and find out how many and how large of fish this setup could possibly take. That bein said, my intent is to only have a small number of fish.

Here is what I have for equipment:

Pump: http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/powerjetpumps/pjet900.php?link=1401
Filter: http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/filters/plomaxmiounderfilt.php?link=155
Weir: http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/filters/pffalfiltspil.php?link=158

Here is a diagram of what my setup will mirror exactly.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...mage_result&resnum=1&ct=image&ved=0CAkQ9QEwAA

Please let me know what you think.

Reaction score
I don't remember your width and length. I know mine was 9x5x2 and I had 27 very happy goldfish, thus my name:). Depends on what kind of fish too.

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
are you going to put your pump on a ledge that high up ? if you do it wont pick up any of the muck on the bottom

Hi Stoppy,

In the diagram the pump is at the very bottom. The submersible filter which will be the my initial filtration will be sitting on the ledge yes, but my ledge is aprox 16-17 inches deep in a 3 feet deep pond.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't remember your width and length. I know mine was 9x5x2 and I had 27 very happy goldfish, thus my name. Depends on what kind of fish too.

Hi Goldfish.

My pond is 9X6 by aprox. 3 Feet deep.

Reaction score
You still won't be clearing any of the muck from the bottom with the filter on the ledge, as the water will be drawn through the filter before going to the pump. No water goes directly to the pump. I'm not sure why Laguna even has the pump sitting on a platform in the diagram as the pump won't clog from muck on the bottom as nothing goes directly through it. That being said, the advantage of having the water inlet to the pump off the bottom is that if you develop a leak in your waterfall line, it won't completely drain your pond, compromising your fish. Personally I would recommend against a submersed filter as it would be more difficult to clean and would fill up much faster than the various external filters you see on this forum, but you could try it out and if you find it too much hassle to clean, the external filters are easy to add on to your waterfall line. I use a course prefilter (pix below) around my pump to keep out the large stuff like leaves ( it's two plastic baskets from the dollar store clamshelled together and held together with pieces of pvc split lengthwise to form clamps to hold them together) then run to an external skippy type barrel filter.

Attachments

• pump prefilter1resize.jpg
    pump prefilter1resize.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 267
  • pumpprefilter2resize.jpg
    pumpprefilter2resize.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 296

Carpe_Diem

"Seize The Day"
Reaction score
You still won't be clearing any of the muck from the bottom with the filter on the ledge, as the water will be drawn through the filter before going to the pump. No water goes directly to the pump. I'm not sure why Laguna even has the pump sitting on a platform in the diagram as the pump won't clog from muck on the bottom as nothing goes directly through it. That being said, the advantage of having the water inlet to the pump off the bottom is that if you develop a leak in your waterfall line, it won't completely drain your pond, compromising your fish. Personally I would recommend against a submersed filter as it would be more difficult to clean and would fill up much faster than the various external filters you see on this forum, but you could try it out and if you find it too much hassle to clean, the external filters are easy to add on to your waterfall line. I use a course prefilter (pix below) around my pump to keep out the large stuff like leaves ( it's two plastic baskets from the dollar store clamshelled together and held together with pieces of pvc split lengthwise to form clamps to hold them together) then run to an external skippy type barrel filter.

Thank you for the reply PD&G. I do agree with you 100 percent with regards to the submersibles being the worst choice.

The only reason I went with this set up is two fold:

1, I had made it work very well on my last pond with fish, cleaning the submersible twice a week. That is why I actually have it on the ledge as I can easily reach down to access it to pull it out and clean it.

2, Although I don't like to use this reason, cost was A consideration as I have no ability to build and/or create a home made filter.

My plan is to try it out for a while and if for some reason my water conditions turn for the worse where I can't solve it with the current set up, I will look into an external pressurized.

Thank again. :lol:

Reaction score
Since you've had one before then you know what's involved and have figured that into your decision. Just trying to save ya some work.:) and like you said, you can always change it later if you decide to. I hear ya about the cost issue. My first pond was made out of a kiddie pool and lined with black garbage bags! Even my current pond was done on a shoestring. (The way I do most things.) Good luck with your pond!

Ask a Question