TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
looks like Colorado just misses the ruby throated hummingbirds!

Reaction score
Country
United States
In Colorado, Black-chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) and Broad-tailed Hummingbird (Selasphorus platycercus) are most common, more so in the southern and western parts of the state.

In my garden, I get Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) year-round and Allen's Hummingbird (Selasphorus sasin) and Rufous Humingbird (Selasphorus rufus) are seen regularly in Spring. Other hummingbirds, such as Costa's Hummingbird (Calypte costae), are seen nearby, but not in my garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
looks like Colorado just misses the ruby throated hummingbirds!
In Colorado, Black-chinned Hummingbird (Archilochus alexandri) and Broad-tailed Hummingbird (Selasphorus platycercus) are most common, more so in the southern and western parts of the state.

In my garden, I get Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) year-round and Allen's Hummingbird (Selasphorus sasin) and Rufous Humingbird (Selasphorus rufus) are seen regularly in Spring. Other hummingbirds, such as Costa's Hummingbird (Calypte costae), are seen nearby, but not in my garden.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States

Thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Looking up the live Hummingbird Migration Map is a yearly ritual for me!

I follow the action in CT, then RI, MA south coast, then they arrive in neighboring towns, on Cape Cod.
Then, it is time to put the feeders out on the deck.

I have yet to learn what is matting ritual versus territorial bitching...!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Keep an eye out for courtship dives. They can be quite dramatic displays. The diagram shows the pattern for the Broad-tailed Hummingbird (Selasphorus playtcercus), but many other hummingbirds do something similar.
illustration_only.jpg

Ask a Question