I've got a few unrelated questions...

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Well... a 9 cu ft bead filter can do a pond up to 28,000 gallons and is also what they use at zoos and aquariums!

They are sold by a bunch of different makers. I know Sacramento Koi has and uses them.

Here is what I DO know:
http://www.akca.org/library/bubblebd.htm

Mine has a switch to turn on the prop to agitate the beads.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Where can you get these filters? What websites? Are bead filters combination of Biological and Mechanical? I plan on making my own Biofilter, so I really just need a mechanical filter, but I can't find one...

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
nobody said it didnt work!! he just thought its size was way bigger.. they are VERY expensive to buy and operate, and require more maintainence than my skippy. i am way overstocked in my pond and my $150.00 to build and $12.00 a month to run system keeps my water parameters perfect.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Nope! I honestly thought the darn thing was a sand filter! I had never HEARD of a bead filter (you may now laugh at my ignorance... but remember, I INHEIRITED this pond. I did not do a bunch of research on how to properly outfit a 13,000 gallon pond).

It is about 40 inches in every direction! Supposedly it has really good surface area for filtration compared to even bioballs. I found a chart and article a few days ago. Was mostly greek to me unfortuniately. I can no longer use Google to find it again though. My puter has the nasty tdds (?) trojan. It will not hurt you all or infect you from mine... but it is really doing a job on the poor thing. I have a friend coming to fix it this weekend.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Way too many and they are way too big!

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/new-but-quick-t3756p3.html has a video of them.

I would like to cull as soon as the water is clearer and I can see exactly what I have... but what do you do with 2-3 foot koi that are a muddy brown color? No one wants them and they are not easily euthanized. Someone suggested a kosher deli!

The bead filter does a great job... but you will need a UV box added on or lots of plants to keep the algae down.

I think the bead filter is mostly mechanical and partially biological. The 40+ feet of drop streams and the small bio-pond at the stream heads suppliment mine for biological filtration... so I am unsure.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
He has no real problem with it. If I can find and catch any little ones that are pretty, he would like them for his 3000 gallon pond at his new house though.

He agrees that the muddy brown ones are ugly. He inherited the pond when HE bought the house 5 years ago! LOL

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
It can vary depending on how big you want it but if you want the basic design for what is called a Skippy filter you can go to DIY Forum and look at 20 gallon Skippy filter. I posted a 16gal filter diagram on there that is pretty easy to understand (at least I think so). You would have to adapt the size acording to your pond size (mine is only 300-350gal). But I spent less then $90 making this one and that included the filter media ($12) and a 16oz bottle of the best starting bacteria ($14). There are a lot of other threads on this kind of filter on a larger scale also so, check them all out and figure out your personal design. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Welcome,
Redressing can be done by making repetitive cuts in a break stone or a very abrasive ... What size blade do you need / how deep are you cutting?

Ask a Question